Traveling Waves Homework: Transverse Sinusoidal Wave

• Thread starter dwong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, the conversation discusses a transverse sinusoidal wave on a string with a period of 31.0 ms and a speed of 30.0 m/s in the negative x direction. The wave is described by the equation y=Asin(kx-wt+phi), and the given values allow for the calculation of the amplitude, phase constant, and maximum transverse speed of the string. However, there is some uncertainty about the correctness of the calculated phase constant of 1.1125 radians and the possibility of finding the amplitude without first finding the phase constant.
dwong

Homework Statement

A transverse sinusoidal wave on a string has a period T = 31.0 ms and travels in the negative x direction with a speed of 30.0 m/s. At t = 0, a particle on the string at x = 0 has a transverse position of 2.00 cm and is traveling downward with a speed of 2.00 m/s.

Homework Equations

y=Asin(kx-wt+phi)
w=2pi/T
v=w/k
v=lamdbaf

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, I changed the period to T=.031sec.
Solved for Omega = 2pi/(.031) = 202.6834 rad/sec
Solved for lamdba = v/f = .9299
Solved for k = 6.756

To find phi, I differentiated the y equation for v(y), then got the equation
v/v(y) = tan(phi)/-w
I got phi = 1.1125, but it is not correct. Please help. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone give me insight as to why my question is not being answered? Did I post in the wrong forum, not give enough information? Thank you all.

No, but you did not tell what was the question. phi=1.1125 radian looks correct. The amplitude was not asked?

ehild

Ah, sorry my mistake.

(a) What is the amplitude of the wave?
(b) What is the phase constant?
(c) What is the maximum transverse speed of the string?
(d) Write the wave function for the wave.

The amplitude is asked for, but I figured that I would find the amplitude after finding the phase constant.

Apparently, 1.1125 is incorrect, but if I did it correctly and it is just an error, then that's okay.
Thank you for confirming my answer.

Is there any other way of finding the phase constant? Or a way to find the amplitude without finding the phase constant first?

You have two equations :

A*sin(phi)=0.02
A*cos(phi)=2.00/w

Take the square of both equations and add them: You get A^2.

ehild

1. What is a transverse sinusoidal wave?

A transverse sinusoidal wave is a type of wave that travels through a medium by oscillating perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation. This means that the particles of the medium move up and down or side to side as the wave passes through, rather than moving in the same direction as the wave. The shape of a transverse sinusoidal wave is typically represented by a sine or cosine function.

2. How is the amplitude of a transverse sinusoidal wave measured?

The amplitude of a transverse sinusoidal wave is measured as the maximum displacement of the particles of the medium from their equilibrium position. In other words, it is the distance from the crest (highest point) or trough (lowest point) of the wave to the equilibrium position.

3. What is the difference between wavelength and period of a transverse sinusoidal wave?

Wavelength and period are two different ways to measure the same phenomenon in a transverse sinusoidal wave. Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive points on the wave that are in phase, such as two crests or two troughs. Period, on the other hand, is the time it takes for one complete cycle of the wave to pass a given point. It is directly related to wavelength, as a longer wavelength means a longer period.

4. Can a transverse sinusoidal wave travel through a vacuum?

No, a transverse sinusoidal wave cannot travel through a vacuum. Waves require a medium to travel through, and a vacuum by definition does not contain any particles for the wave to propagate through. However, transverse sinusoidal waves can travel through various mediums such as air, water, and solids.

5. How does the frequency of a transverse sinusoidal wave affect its speed?

The frequency of a transverse sinusoidal wave has no effect on its speed. The speed of a wave is determined by the properties of the medium it is traveling through, such as its density and elasticity. However, the frequency does affect the wavelength and period of the wave, as a higher frequency means a shorter wavelength and a shorter period.