Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Travelling faster than light

1. Dec 17, 2004 #1
    out of curiosity, who thinks we'll ever be able to travel faster than light (either directly or through higher dimensional shortcuts) ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2004 #2
    This isn't a physics question. This is philosophy/general discussion. Moved.

<oh, wait, i cant do that>

And I don't think we will.

4. Dec 17, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I agree--sounds like a topic for general discussion.

5. Dec 17, 2004 #4
    Eventually I think that we will be able to do anything provided we live long enough to get there.

Nothing is Impossible.

6. Dec 17, 2004 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'd say it would be impossible to stuff my size 8 foot into a size 5 shoe (without modifying one of them). :wink:

7. Dec 17, 2004 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

'Whoever said 'nothings impossible' never tried to nail jell-o to a tree'
    Lisa Bryant

8. Dec 17, 2004 #7
    or tried to explain what's so interesting about a Physics Forum to an idiot girlfriend

9. Dec 17, 2004 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

See, that should have been your first clue something was wrong with her. :approve:

10. Dec 17, 2004 #9
    lol, that was the 153rd clue.

11. Dec 17, 2004 #10

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's a good one. I'll try to remember that.

12. Dec 18, 2004 #11

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not if your foot were traveing at .... Oh wait, did you need to wear that shoe for a long period of time?

13. Dec 18, 2004 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Anyone who can't nail jello to a tree has obviously never considered temperature. :biggrin:

As for size 8 feet and size 5 shoes, this is just a gauge problem.

14. Dec 18, 2004 #13
    You can just wait 150 yrs it will will fit in an envelope. :rofl: You are not actually modifying you foot by that is it?

15. Dec 19, 2004 #14
    lol, nobody has a serious opinion?
    And it IS a physics question. We will only be able to travel faster than light if the laws of the universe allow it. I guess it might indeed belong more in general discussion though.

16. Dec 19, 2004 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From a physics point of view, Relativity, which appears to be pretty darn accurate, says that you can not accelerate to a speed faster than that of light. Travelling faster than light will violate causality. However, this says nothing about the existence of things that are always traveling faster than light...except that we can not interact with them.

17. Dec 19, 2004 #16
    I tried giving the Alcubierre Drive paper a look over but it is over my head. But it is said that fits in with relativity and still maintains you can travel faster than light.

Now, perhaps the research Alcubierre did was right or wrong I don't know, but the way in which he exploits the universe for FTL, it seems plausible perhaps. I don't know, like I said it is over my head so don't take my word.

Of course we don't have the power required to do it--but that doesn't negate it -might- be possible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?