Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Travelling I need a map

1. Jun 28, 2007 #1
    Hey all,

I'm writing a piece of music for a competition in England and it requires a map of our galaxy. I've written off to NASA but I suspect I am not going to get any joy from them.

In short, does anyone know where I can get a map of our galaxy from? It needs to show the position of the more dominant features, if possible.

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S. After this message I'm afraid I am away so I will not be able to check the PF until Sunday 8th July.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2007 #2
  4. Jul 1, 2007 #3
    Having a map of our galaxy is like having a map of a beach that shows each sand grain - clearly impossible. Having the general shape of our 'beach' is possible. One spiral galaxy looks mostly like any other - seach for Hubble Images for some impresive photos.

The best looking 'map' of our part of the galaxy is a Milky Way panorama which shows a crab's eye view of our part of the 'beach'. See http://home.arcor-online.de/axel.mellinger/mwpan_aitoff.html for such a photo.
  5. Jul 1, 2007 #4
  6. Aug 19, 2007 #5
    Heya both,

Thanks for the links; some nice pictures. :biggrin:

Let me explain quickly why I need a 'map'. The idea of the composition is to travel around the milky way, starting in our solar system, working our way around and arriving back home in time for tea. I want a map so that I can get images of specific bodies or areas in our galaxy and ensure that I'm going around in a feasible direction (sad as that is). The problem is I don't know what I want to include in the piece and, so, how many bodies I need.

Maybe a map of the main features would be better.

Anyway, thanks again.

The Bob (2004 ©)
  7. Aug 24, 2007 #6
  8. Aug 28, 2007 #7
  9. Sep 1, 2007 #8
    Nice pictures. Cheers all... keep them coming!!!

The Bob (2004 ©)
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?