1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Traversetime of r=cos(n*θ)

1. Feb 4, 2013 #1
    I have the function in polar coordinates r=cos(n*θ), where r is the radii. I'm supposed to draw the graph of this function, and calculate the area. But to calculate the area, I need to know how fast the function traverses. From the solution in my book, it says if n is even, the function traverses when θ goes from 0 to 2pi, and from 0 to pi if n is odd.

Why is the traverse-time for this function only dependant on if n is odd or even? I do not understand this at all. Can you guys help me develop an intuition for functions in polar coordinates?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You will cover one lobe as r goes from 0 to 1 and back to 0. That is, as [itex]n\theta[/itex] goes form [itex]-\pi+ 2k\pi[/itex] to [itex]\pi/2+ 2k\pi[/itex] for integer k.

The reason for the "if n is even, the function traverses when θ goes from 0 to 2pi, and from 0 to pi if n is odd." is that when [itex]cos(n\theta)[/itex] is negative, r is negative and, because r is alwas positive in polar coordinates, is interpreted as positive but with [itex]\pi[/itex] added to [itex]\theta[/itex]. When n is odd, that results in one lobe covering another. When n is even, there are 2n lobes, when n is odd there are n lobes.

4. Feb 4, 2013 #3
    So you're saying when r goes from 0 to 1 to 0 (and n*θ goes from -pi/2 to pi/2) the function has fully traversed?

Is this a general rule? That when r goes back to where it started, the function has traversed?

I think I get you, but can you please provide an example?

5. Feb 7, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The first graph is [itex]r= 5cos(4\theta)[/itex] and the second graph is [itex]r= 5cos(5\theta)[/itex]

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook