Old White Guy and Young Black Man: A Tale of Two Meetings

• Thread starter Pkruse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Young
In summary, Pkruse met a young black man who he talked with for hours about a variety of topics. The young man told Pkruse that he grew up in a family of drug dealers, but quit when he realized it was ruining the lives of his customers. He is now a medical student. Pkruse learned that the young man has a similar view of race as he does, and they discussed the Trayvon Martin case. They both agreed that there is no clear answer for what happened to Trayvon.
Pkruse
I'm an old white guy who lives in a gated community in Florida. I couldn't sleep the other night, so I went out for a walk. I'm always armed, but rarely with a gun because I'm well trained on how to do great harm with what I have.

I saw a young black man of about 20. So I went up to talk with him. We spent several hours talking about lots of stuff, some of it very serious. He introduced me to rap music, which I have never thought about listening to before. I rather like it, and we talked at length about the deeper meanings behind the lyrics.

I learned that he grew up in a family of drug dealers. He dealt for a while and made a lot of money at it. But it bothered him that it was ruining the lives of his customers, so he quit and went back to school. He is now a medical student.

We taked about Trayvon Martin. We agreed that we have no idea what happened. He volunteered that Trayvon may very well have attacked Zimmerman, but that the opposite might also be true.

I marvelled that my meeting of this fine young man was so similar to that meeting, but the outcome was so different. I will talk to anyone anywhere if they will talk to me. That habit has resulted in many new and interesting friends.

Too bad it did not work out that way that night in Sanford. The difference was that neither of us was afraid of the other, yet we both assumed the other to be armed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice story, Pkruse. People like you and that young man are the vanguard of social change - willing to challenge their own preconceptions and stereotypes.

Very nice, however, we just closed a couple of threads on this case and don't want to restart the argument.

1. What is the basis of "Old White Guy and Young Black Man: A Tale of Two Meetings"?

The story is based on the experiences of an old white man and a young black man attending two separate meetings. It explores the differences in their perspectives, experiences, and opportunities based on their age, race, and societal privileges.

2. Why is this story important?

This story sheds light on the ongoing issues of systemic racism and ageism in our society. It highlights the stark contrast in opportunities and treatment based on factors such as race and age, and encourages readers to reflect on their own biases and privilege.

3. Is this story based on real events?

While the characters and specific scenarios may be fictional, the story is a reflection of real-life experiences and struggles faced by many individuals in our society. It aims to raise awareness and spark conversations about these important issues.

4. What can we learn from "Old White Guy and Young Black Man: A Tale of Two Meetings"?

This story teaches us the importance of empathy, understanding, and open-mindedness. It encourages us to recognize and challenge our own biases, and to strive towards creating a more inclusive and equal society.

5. How can we use this story in discussions about diversity and inclusion?

"Old White Guy and Young Black Man: A Tale of Two Meetings" can serve as a powerful tool for sparking meaningful discussions about diversity and inclusion. It can be used in various settings such as classrooms, workplaces, and community groups to encourage reflection, dialogue, and action towards creating a more equitable society.