Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Treadmill vs outdoor running

1. Mar 30, 2010 #1
    Does the absence of drag while running on a treadmill make it a significantly less taxing exercise than running outdoors?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2010 #2

QuantumPion

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The real question is, is it easier to run in water or maple syrup? :p

4. Aug 26, 2012 #3
    Just ramp up the treadmill at an angle if you like.....Otherwise, my experience is that maybe running on a horizontal treadmill might be a smidge easier....but still plently of exercise to get up a good cardio workout....

5. Aug 26, 2012 #4
    The coefficient of drag for a person is pretty low, does your treadmill tell you how fast you are going?

6. Aug 26, 2012 #5
    Buy a really strong fan.

7. Aug 26, 2012 #6
    Magnawolf wins.

In all seriousness, any difference cause by wing drag can be more than accounted for by changing settings on your treadmill.

8. Aug 27, 2012 #7

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I was interpreting the question to refer to the difference between a moving tread and a non-moving street. Personally I feel a difference, especially during interval training, in the foot-ground impact dynamic.

Watching olympic sprinters, they start to move their leading leg/foot backwards before the foot contacts the ground, perhaps to minimize the impact?

9. Aug 27, 2012 #8
    I don't know, but I can tell you road running is much harder, because you have to pace yourself. Trail running is even harder due to soft or uneven ground, inclines, and weather.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook