Treadmill vs outdoor running

• Thread starter Darkmisc
  • Start date
Darkmisc
Does the absence of drag while running on a treadmill make it a significantly less taxing exercise than running outdoors?

Answers and Replies

QuantumPion
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The real question is, is it easier to run in water or maple syrup? :p

Naty1
Just ramp up the treadmill at an angle if you like...Otherwise, my experience is that maybe running on a horizontal treadmill might be a smidge easier...but still plently of exercise to get up a good cardio workout...

mesa
Gold Member
Does the absence of drag while running on a treadmill make it a significantly less taxing exercise than running outdoors?

The coefficient of drag for a person is pretty low, does your treadmill tell you how fast you are going?

Magnawolf
Buy a really strong fan.

Vorde
Buy a really strong fan.

Magnawolf wins.

In all seriousness, any difference cause by wing drag can be more than accounted for by changing settings on your treadmill.

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author

I was interpreting the question to refer to the difference between a moving tread and a non-moving street. Personally I feel a difference, especially during interval training, in the foot-ground impact dynamic.

Watching olympic sprinters, they start to move their leading leg/foot backwards before the foot contacts the ground, perhaps to minimize the impact?

d3mm

I don't know, but I can tell you road running is much harder, because you have to pace yourself. Trail running is even harder due to soft or uneven ground, inclines, and weather.

Suggested for: Treadmill vs outdoor running

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post