Treat people the way you want to be treated

1. The common dictum "treat people the way you want to be treated" asserts that by treating people the way you want to be treated, they will treat you the same way, right?
    Suppose a man, J, a ruthless villain is attacking a person, Z, both verbally and physically. J is then treating Z the way he(J) wants to be treated. Should Z treat J the way J wants to be treated then even though Z disagrees with the way J is treating people like Z?
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. The common dictum be damned? :redface:
  4. Evo

Staff: Mentor

Not exactly. It's just a simple logical statement "don't expect someone to treat you any better than you treat them"
  5. Integral

Integral 7,288
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, that is not right. It makes no mention of how others will treat you. The Golden Rule is about your personal choices, how YOU react not how others react. It is a simple rule of personal behavior, don't over think it.
  6. Njorl

Njorl 818
    Science Advisor

Sadly, as a young man I discovered that most attractive young women did not want to do to me what I wanted to do to them.

7. Did you do unto them as you would have had them do unto you anyway? :tongue2:

When ugly old women don’t want you either the gig, as they say, is just about up! :biggrin:
  8. The whole point is just to make you empathize with others. Geeze.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?