1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trebuchet Circular Motion -> o.0

1. Jul 16, 2005 #1
    I make trebuchet for my physics project and i need to calculate the distance it fires and compare it to my acctual firing.

I know how to use the non vertical equations for circular motion but i dont know which equation to use for this.

I can calculate the projectile motion after i have the velocity.

Mass = 2.5kg
    CounterWeight Arm lenght = 16cm (ie. radius)
    Circumpherence it travells = 1/3 of circle.

The counterweight arm only swings 1/3 of circles circumpherence.

All i need to know is the equation because i can use the non vertical motion equation but then i would have to guess the time it takes.

And i want to calculate the time not guess .:))))))

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One of the things you will have to know is the speed of the treguchet arm itself- how fast does it go through that 1/3 circumference?

4. Jul 17, 2005 #3
    Basically i thought thats wat i need to find out using the equation.

I used a different equation and i found the acceleration of the counterweight arm to be 8m/s/s so if the counterweight arm is 1:3.65 ratio then that means the load arm will be accelerating @ 3.65 times faster than the counterweight arm?

If so. What other equation will i need to know to find out time and final velocity.

I could use linear equations of motion but i thought that the circular will make a slight difference?

So which equation would i need since i now have

Acceleration = 29.2m/s/s
    Distance 1/3 of circumpherence (radius = 50cm) (2*pi*r = 2 * 3.14 * 50) = (314cm) (314 divided by 3 = 104cm)

So the distance it has to cover is 104cm

So if i have those two will i be able to find out the final velocity of the load arm?

5. Jul 17, 2005 #4
    kk dont bother replying. Assignment due in acouple hours. :)

Ciao all :)) I figured it out anyway

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?