Trebuchet Circular Motion -> o.0

In summary, the speaker is working on a physics project involving a trebuchet and needs to calculate the distance the projectile will travel. They are unsure of which equation to use for this, but know how to calculate the projectile motion after obtaining the velocity. They also mention the mass, counterweight arm length, and circumference the arm travels. They want to find the time and final velocity using the appropriate equation and have found the acceleration to be 8m/s/s and the distance to be 104cm. They have since figured out the solution on their own.
Sobani
I make trebuchet for my physics project and i need to calculate the distance it fires and compare it to my acctual firing.

I know how to use the non vertical equations for circular motion but i don't know which equation to use for this.

I can calculate the projectile motion after i have the velocity.

Mass = 2.5kg
CounterWeight Arm length = 16cm (ie. radius)
Circumpherence it travels = 1/3 of circle.

The counterweight arm only swings 1/3 of circles circumpherence.

All i need to know is the equation because i can use the non vertical motion equation but then i would have to guess the time it takes.

And i want to calculate the time not guess .:))))))

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the things you will have to know is the speed of the treguchet arm itself- how fast does it go through that 1/3 circumference?

Basically i thought that's wat i need to find out using the equation.

I used a different equation and i found the acceleration of the counterweight arm to be 8m/s/s so if the counterweight arm is 1:3.65 ratio then that means the load arm will be accelerating @ 3.65 times faster than the counterweight arm?

If so. What other equation will i need to know to find out time and final velocity.

I could use linear equations of motion but i thought that the circular will make a slight difference?

So which equation would i need since i now have

Acceleration = 29.2m/s/s
Distance 1/3 of circumpherence (radius = 50cm) (2*pi*r = 2 * 3.14 * 50) = (314cm) (314 divided by 3 = 104cm)

So the distance it has to cover is 104cm

So if i have those two will i be able to find out the final velocity of the load arm?

kk don't bother replying. Assignment due in acouple hours. :)

Ciao all :)) I figured it out anyway

What is a trebuchet?

A trebuchet is a type of medieval siege weapon that uses a swinging arm to launch projectiles.

How does a trebuchet work?

A trebuchet works by using the energy of a falling counterweight to rotate an arm, which then flings the projectile forward.

What is circular motion in relation to trebuchets?

Circular motion refers to the path that the projectile follows as it is launched from the trebuchet. The projectile moves in a circular motion due to the rotation of the arm.

Why is circular motion important in trebuchets?

Circular motion is important in trebuchets because it allows for a more accurate and consistent launch of the projectile. The circular path ensures that the projectile is released at the same angle and speed each time.

How can circular motion be adjusted in a trebuchet?

Circular motion can be adjusted in a trebuchet by changing the weight of the counterweight, the length of the arm, and the release point of the projectile. These adjustments can affect the speed, angle, and distance of the projectile's launch.