1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trebuchet help!

1. Dec 10, 2009 #1
    Trebuchet help: Calculating velocity

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm new to this site, so bear with me!
    OK, so I'm doing a trebuchet for my physics project. I have done three trials with counterweights of different masses. I have all of the distances that a golf ball of mass=0.045kg has traveled. I also have the masses of the counterweights.
    Just as a starting point for the first trial:
    mass of the counterweight=10.937

The average distance for this trial was 34.33m.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've done the calculations; however, my answers were nowhere near what the velocity should be. For one trial, the mass of the counterweight was 10.937kg. I did the calculations and the velocity came out to be 3.53m/s which seemed a little slow.

Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. I wonder if it is because the mass of the golf ball needs to be taken into account somehow??? Anyways, thanks in advance!

I've used the example from https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=250335&highlight=trebuchet and I still can't get it. I don't even understand how the answer was calculated in that example.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2009 #2
    Well, I think I might have it! I used that example in the post I linked to in the previous post, and I just changed the values to fit my case. I did the other example to get the right answer that was provided. So, I'm assuming that my answer is correct

Here are the givens:

I used:

And I used the proportion:
    v1 .076
    -- = --
    v2 .838

And just solved for v2.

My final answer was 10.742 m/s which sounds correct, but I'd like to see if I made any mistakes.
  4. Dec 10, 2009 #3
    That proportion I used, v1/v2= 0.076/0.838, what exactly is that?
  5. Dec 11, 2009 #4
    OK, I think that solved for velocity correctly. Using the calculated velocity and the average distance traveled of the golf balls in a trial, I calculated a time of about 3.3 seconds. When I launched golf balls and manually timed it, the results were close enough.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook