Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tree Hugging Hippies Fling Poo

1. Jun 28, 2008 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2008 #2
    HAHAHAHAHAAAA!!! Holy ****! Just goes to show that their are psychos all across the board...

I mean really, that's just unacceptable behavior for any human being.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2008
  4. Jun 28, 2008 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They aren't even trying to protect something natural. It's a LANDSCAPED area planted in the 1920's by the university, according to the article. Berkeley sure has plenty of nuts in their trees.

They should just start cutting down the trees around them. When they're all in the last tree standing, see how much their protest is really worth.

Though, now that they're flinging excrement, I think they could be forcibly removed by police...that seems to qualify as assault now, not just a protest.

5. Jun 28, 2008 #4
    the university should just 'ring'* the trees---it takes about 10 minutes per tree (the tree will die in less than a month)---

*ringing the tree--cutting a complete shallow circle/ring through the bark into the heartwood completely around the trunk

6. Jun 28, 2008 #5
    I think the current plan is to cordon the area off, then arrest them when they come down for food and water.

7. Jun 28, 2008 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hippies? :rofl: Russ, is everyone who you disagree with a hippie? They may be the grandchildren of hippies.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  8. Jun 28, 2008 #7

wolram

Gold Member

9. Jun 28, 2008 #8

russ_watters

No, mostly just the hippies.

Since you aren't a hippie, though, you really shouldn't take offense to that, Ivan....

10. Jun 28, 2008 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I take offense to your constant generalizations. You can't put people in a little box with a label. And I seriously doubt that these people are counter-culture. In fact they are trying to work within the system, no matter how silly might be their position, or offensive their actions. Hiippies believed in dropping out of society.

11. Jun 28, 2008 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aww, c'mon, people who have been living in a tree for two years as part of a protest probably count as hippies. Making a career out of protests is pretty qualifying for that label in this day and age.

12. Jun 28, 2008 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is a generalization. They are kids. Kids are often do stupid things.

Tree-hugging hippies is the terminology used to discredit the enviromental movement. And if it wasn't for mindless Rovian rhetoric like this, we likely wouldn't be facing an oil crisis today.

13. Jun 28, 2008 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Meh, I don't agree with that. Calling it mindless Rovian rhetoric is more a generalization than calling some kids literally hugging a tree tree huggers. They don't sound like kids anyway, they sound like adult criminals disrupting progress who belong behind bars.

14. Jun 28, 2008 #13

russ_watters

Ivan, since you aren't and have never been one, I can't imagine why this would upset you so much.

In any case, while I'm reasonably certain that most people would agree that these people are hippies, neo-hippies, hippie wannabees, hippie hangers-on, or whatever [edit: we don't actually know how old these people are: they may actually be people who were part of the hippie movement in 1968], discussing the ins and outs of how you define a hippie wasn't really the purpose of this thread. This thread is simply about making fun of literal poo-flinging tree-huggers.

You do agree that poo-flinging isn't a reasonable/valid form of protest, right?

15. Jun 28, 2008 #14
    What...the........hell................. These nutjobs should be put behind bars.

16. Jun 28, 2008 #15

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Beat me to it - I was going to suggest putting a fence around them and charging a fee.

17. Jun 28, 2008 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

better make it a plexiglass enclosure.

18. Jun 28, 2008 #17
    So then they could say they are creating art? :wink:

19. Jun 28, 2008 #18

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Jesus, I love Berkeley. As a USC fan, I love even more that these idiots are wrecking the university's chances of building a consistently great football program, which they really are on the verge of if not for having horrible facilities, including a badly earthquake damaged stadium, which is what these protesters are keeping from being renovated.

20. Jun 29, 2008 #19

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In that case I guess I can take offense.

If someone you disagreed with were to post such a stereotypical derisive title you would ban them.

Why not just call it as it is..... Ignorant protesters fling poo.

Any way, how do you know that they are not beer guzzling Republicans?

21. Jun 29, 2008 #20

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Apparently, according the story, they are experiencing wild mood swings lately and it appears that they are trying to avoid a urine test as well.... definitely hippies!

Edit: I think if they were beer-guzzling Republicans they would be yielding thier urine all over the place!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?