Tree Hugging Hippies Fling Poo

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tree
In summary: Ivan, your anger seems misplaced. In summary, the article discusses a group of tree-huggers who have been occupying a campus park in Berkeley, California for the past two years. The tree-huggers have been engaging in various forms of unseemly behavior, such as flinging feces and shaking tree branches, which is causing the university to consider forcibly removing them. The author believes that the tree-huggers are nothing more than misguided hippies, and that their protests are not valid.
Physics news on Phys.org
HAHAHAHAHAAAA! Holy ****! Just goes to show that their are psychos all across the board...

I mean really, that's just unacceptable behavior for any human being.

Last edited by a moderator:
They aren't even trying to protect something natural. It's a LANDSCAPED area planted in the 1920's by the university, according to the article. Berkeley sure has plenty of nuts in their trees.

They should just start cutting down the trees around them. When they're all in the last tree standing, see how much their protest is really worth.

Though, now that they're flinging excrement, I think they could be forcibly removed by police...that seems to qualify as assault now, not just a protest.

the university should just 'ring'* the trees---it takes about 10 minutes per tree (the tree will die in less than a month)---

*ringing the tree--cutting a complete shallow circle/ring through the bark into the heartwood completely around the trunk

I think the current plan is to cordon the area off, then arrest them when they come down for food and water.

Hippies? :rofl: Russ, is everyone who you disagree with a hippie? They may be the grandchildren of hippies.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Hippies? :rofl: Russ, is everyone who you disagree with a hippie?
No, mostly just the hippies.

Since you aren't a hippie, though, you really shouldn't take offense to that, Ivan...

I take offense to your constant generalizations. You can't put people in a little box with a label. And I seriously doubt that these people are counter-culture. In fact they are trying to work within the system, no matter how silly might be their position, or offensive their actions. Hiippies believed in dropping out of society.

Aww, c'mon, people who have been living in a tree for two years as part of a protest probably count as hippies. Making a career out of protests is pretty qualifying for that label in this day and age.

That is a generalization. They are kids. Kids are often do stupid things.

Tree-hugging hippies is the terminology used to discredit the enviromental movement. And if it wasn't for mindless Rovian rhetoric like this, we likely wouldn't be facing an oil crisis today.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
That is a generalization. They are kids. Kids are often do stupid things.

Tree-hugging hippies is the terminology used to discredit the enviromental movement. And if it wasn't for mindless Rovian rhetoric like this, we likely wouldn't be facing an oil crisis today.

Meh, I don't agree with that. Calling it mindless Rovian rhetoric is more a generalization than calling some kids literally hugging a tree tree huggers. They don't sound like kids anyway, they sound like adult criminals disrupting progress who belong behind bars.

Ivan, since you aren't and have never been one, I can't imagine why this would upset you so much.

In any case, while I'm reasonably certain that most people would agree that these people are hippies, neo-hippies, hippie wannabees, hippie hangers-on, or whatever [edit: we don't actually know how old these people are: they may actually be people who were part of the hippie movement in 1968], discussing the ins and outs of how you define a hippie wasn't really the purpose of this thread. This thread is simply about making fun of literal poo-flinging tree-huggers.

You do agree that poo-flinging isn't a reasonable/valid form of protest, right?

Last edited:
What...the...hell.... These nutjobs should be put behind bars.

wolram said:
That just is not a human thing, as such they should be caught and put in a zoo.

Beat me to it - I was going to suggest putting a fence around them and charging a fee.

mgb_phys said:
Beat me to it - I was going to suggest putting a fence around them and charging a fee.

better make it a plexiglass enclosure.

Math Is Hard said:
better make it a plexiglass enclosure.

So then they could say they are creating art? :wink:

Jesus, I love Berkeley. As a USC fan, I love even more that these idiots are wrecking the university's chances of building a consistently great football program, which they really are on the verge of if not for having horrible facilities, including a badly earthquake damaged stadium, which is what these protesters are keeping from being renovated.

russ_watters said:
No, mostly just the hippies.

Since you aren't a hippie, though, you really shouldn't take offense to that, Ivan...

In that case I guess I can take offense.

If someone you disagreed with were to post such a stereotypical derisive title you would ban them.

Why not just call it as it is... Ignorant protesters fling poo.

Any way, how do you know that they are not beer guzzling Republicans?

Apparently, according the story, they are experiencing wild mood swings lately and it appears that they are trying to avoid a urine test as well... definitely hippies!

...protesters declined to yield their urine.

Edit: I think if they were beer-guzzling Republicans they would be yielding their urine all over the place!

Last edited:
and (as far as the 'flinging') it depends on what they've been eating lately, whether you could consider it 'assault with a deadly weapon'

-------------

If only their mothers could see them now

Last edited:
GeorginaS said:

NO! Don't do that. There is probably some law against destroying art.

18 months fighting for something that won't result in any personal financial gain (unless I missed something).

Agree or disagree with their ideas, beliefs or methods, but that level of determination, resolve and commitment is commendable...

Integral said:
Any way, how do you know that they are not beer guzzling Republicans?

Beer Guzzling Republicans Hold Berkeley Trees Hostage: Demand Stadium Supported by Corporate Sponsors, not Taxpayers.

It would make for a humorous headline, but I think the beer guzzling Republicans would more likely be in favor of building a new stadium rather than saving landscaping, unless there was hunting allowed there (being Berkeley, I think that's pretty unlikely).

Re: Tree Hugging Hippies Fling Poo

GeorginaS said:

Artsy Fartsy

In my opinion, it is really, really sad. I can think of a lot better causes to spend a year or more of your life living in misery for. Maybe I should go down there tomorrow and tell them that.

Where is a mild earthquake to make them fall to their deaths when you need one? Stupid HIPPIES, blah that's beyond disgusting!

rewebster said:
Re: Tree Hugging Hippies Fling Poo

Artsy Fartsy

HAHA! Priceless.

1. What is a "tree hugging hippie"?

A "tree hugging hippie" is a term used to describe someone who is passionate about environmentalism and conservation, and often practices activities such as hugging trees as a way to connect with nature.

2. Why do "tree hugging hippies" fling poo?

The act of "flinging poo" is often associated with primates, who use it as a form of communication or defense. However, the idea of "tree hugging hippies flinging poo" is often a stereotype and not based in reality.

3. Is there any scientific basis for "tree hugging hippies" and their practices?

While the term "tree hugging hippie" may have a negative connotation, many of the practices associated with it, such as hugging trees, have been scientifically proven to have benefits for both mental and physical health. Additionally, the principles of environmentalism and conservation are based on scientific research and evidence.

4. Do all "tree hugging hippies" engage in the same practices and beliefs?

No, "tree hugging hippies" are not a homogenous group and may have different beliefs and practices. The term is often used as a stereotype and does not accurately represent the diversity within the environmentalist and conservationist community.

5. Are "tree hugging hippies" harmful to the environment?

On the contrary, many "tree hugging hippies" are actively working towards protecting and preserving the environment. While some may engage in unconventional practices such as tree hugging, their overall goal is to promote sustainability and conservation for the benefit of the planet.