What are the key decisions that shape our lives and how can we analyze them?

• Thread starter kronon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life Tree
In summary, the conversation discusses mapping out an individual's entire decision tree in life, which consists of a vast set of possibilities with a very small delta t. The focus is on finding a way to determine the key decisions in a person's life, and how to separate them into controllable and uncontrollable factors. The concept of delta t approaching the Planck length is also brought up, along with potential attempts to model such a complex system. Other relevant topics include root cause analysis and the potential for analyzing the set of all possible branching games in Monopoly. The conversation also touches on the connection between finite density and the decision tree of life, and the possible role of free will in decision-making.
kronon
Say you map out the entire decision tree of an individuals life starting from birth.

Each node has N branches, where N is very large, and delta t approaching zero. Let's keep it finite density because we want some results.

Now you trace out the individuals realized path outcome amongst this vast set of possibilities. From the beginning to the The End.

I want to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff: some kind of principal component analysis to see what the key decisions are - are they 'big' things like education, who you marry etc, or tiny stuff like I poured an extra spoonful of bran flakes, which made me 1 sec late, which meant the bus missed me by a whisker?. How would you get an answer?

Also, how do you separate out the things you can control with things you cant. Which is more important?

What happens if/because delta t is less then the Planck length?

Have you seen any attempts to model such things?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does t mean time? If so, it seems odd that you are mixing such quantitative terms in with an entirely qualitative question like the "importance" of particular decisions.

You might look into root cause analysis in quality engineering and Ishikawa "fishbone" diagrams.

On a similar but entirely quantitative level, I've always thought that it might be an interesting thing to analyze the set of all the possible branching games of Monopoly you might play, to see what the characteristics are of a game play that lasts forever, which is theoretically possible. I suppose it would be easy to do nowadays if you automated a computerized Monopoly game.

There is some strange physics emerging. What causal connection does 'finite density' have to a 'decision tree of life'?

The tree of life might be impossibly large,
1) Why didn't you step a half inch further or less (every single step over lifetime)
2) Why did you breath in that direction (every breath and continuous over
a whole breath)
3) Why move any limb or body member in any direction precisely by the amount you did, summed over
all limb, finger, eye movements and continuous (not just end result)
4) I am not sure if it applies to the thoughts and dreams you had (free will to think
what you like when you like)

1. What are considered "key decisions" that shape our lives?

Key decisions that shape our lives can vary for each individual, but some common examples include decisions related to education, career, relationships, and personal values and beliefs. These decisions can have a significant impact on our overall well-being and future opportunities.

2. How can we identify and analyze the key decisions in our lives?

One way to identify and analyze key decisions in our lives is to reflect on our past choices and their outcomes. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from trusted mentors or professionals, and to gather information and weigh pros and cons before making a decision.

3. Can analyzing key decisions in our lives help us make better choices in the future?

Yes, analyzing key decisions in our lives can provide valuable insights and lessons that can help us make more informed and beneficial choices in the future. It can also help us identify patterns and behaviors that may not be serving us well.

4. How do external factors influence the key decisions we make?

External factors, such as societal norms, cultural expectations, and peer pressure, can greatly influence the key decisions we make. It is important to acknowledge and consider these external influences, but ultimately, it is up to us to make the final decision that aligns with our personal values and goals.

5. Can we change the key decisions that have shaped our lives?

While we cannot change the past, we can make changes in our present and future decisions that can alter the course of our lives. It is never too late to make positive changes and learn from past decisions, and these changes can ultimately shape the direction and quality of our lives.