Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

TREMENDOUS ENERGy

1. May 17, 2007 #1

rbt

Why do we require tremendous energy (equivalent to the Planck's energy) to verify String/hyperspace/higherdimension theory?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2007 #2
    I have also wondered about this.

I think the 'Introduction to loop quantum gravity' will help. Try dipping into the last page of the first post.

The following is speculative:
    My explanation is that when the Kaluza metric is used with the GR Lagrangian you get the Plank Mass. Klein then went on to explain that you did not see the 5th dimension as it was so small etc.

BUT if you use Kaluza metric with the simple Lagrangian* then the mass is the mass of electron (if you are considering an electron). It all comes down to simple calculations that an undergraduate student could do.

The details are spelled out in
    Physics help & Math help - Physics forums > Physics > Special & General Relativity (Simple Kaluza Klein question)
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=171945

where I have shown that

[tex] u^5 = d_{\tau}x^5 = (1 - A_{\alpha} u^{\alpha}q/m) [/tex]

So [itex] x^5 \approx \tau [/itex].

No one has said this explanation is on the right or wrong track yet - but this may be due to submitting my question in the wrong forum.

* Lagrangian adapted from the super Hamiltonian, e.g. p 489 in Gravitation by Misner Thorne & Wheeler of 1970-1973 where charge q = -e or p 897 where charge q = +e!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  4. Jun 15, 2007 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

The states of interest only existed in the very early universe. The physics that emerged beyond the first ~.001 second are well understood thanks to particle accelerators and observations of the universe at large.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?