1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tri-axial Accelerometers

1. Dec 13, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I am very new to accelerometers and I don't seem to be making any head way with them and I was wondering if someone could tell me what would be my first step in calculating acceleration on the X axis.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2008 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well the tri-axial bit is irrelevant if you're only considering one axis. What type of accelerometer do you have, and what are you using to measure its output?

4. Dec 14, 2008 #3
    Hi,
    I am concerned with all the axis( X, Y, and Z ) but I figured if I was told how to find one. I would be able to figure out the others. I am using a ±1.5g Three Axis Low-g Micromachined Accelerometer. So far all I am seeing are the accelerometer ADC values

19.405 2318 2038 2037
    19.605 2320 2044 2036
    19.805 2323 2049 2035

In the Format: <timeSec> <accX> <accY> <accZ>

The problem is I don't know what to do with these values to find the acceleration in each of the axis.

5. Dec 14, 2008 #4
    I only worked with an acceleromter briefly 2 years ago as a freshman project, but shouldn't there be some sort of rating for the meter (I think the one I worked with happened to be .01v/g). Knowing the voltage output you can calculate acceleration.

I did only get a B for the course due to troubles with hooking it up to an 8-digit display, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about. :P

6. Dec 14, 2008 #5
    Hi,

The voltage output for the
    XOut @ 0g = 1.65V
    YOut @ -1g = 0.85V
    ZOut @ 0g = 1.6V

I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell me how the voltage output can help you calculate acceleration - Or anyone else that knows and can help me

Thanks!!

7. Dec 14, 2008 #6
    A spec sheet for your accelerometer may help. Do you have a model number?

8. Dec 14, 2008 #7
  9. Dec 15, 2008 #8
    You have a zero point and a sensitivity for each channel. Basically, using the values given in your data sheet (and comparing to what you've posted):

Acceleration (g) = (Output in mV - Zero point in mV) / (Sensitivity in mV/g)

So for example...

Acceleration (g) = (850 mV - 1650 mV) / 800 mV/g = -1g

Hope this helps.

10. Dec 15, 2008 #9
    Thanks Man!!

Much appreciated

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook