Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tri channel ram

1. Sep 13, 2011 #1

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I purchased a 6gb set [3x2] tri channel ram chips. One of the chips is apparently doa. It appears replacing it with an identical 2gb chip is not necessarily guaranteed to work. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2011 #2
    I assume the ram you bought is DDR3 and has a frequency of 1333+ Mhz.
    To be sure if your RAM will work you need to check your motherboard. [Is it DDR2 or DDR3 capable?]

To answer the question, it will word if all of the sticks are DDR3 even if the frequency is different. [will run on lower frequency]

4. Sep 14, 2011 #3
    How do you know the chip is DOA? Also, please confirm that you have a LGA 1366 socket Intel processor. As far as I know, it is the only socket that supports triple channel (usually the motherboard will have either three or six RAM slots, though some have four slots).

5. Sep 19, 2011 #4
    After making sure it's DOA (try starting and running the PC with just one stick and repeat for each stick), RMA that kit. You DID buy it from a reputable source, right? If not, then you've learned why we buy PC hardware from Newegg.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook