Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tri-gate MOSFET and FinFET

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    What is the difference between multi-fin trigate MOSFET and multi-fin FinFET? Why Trigate performs better?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2012 #2
    They are generally the same thing. Just different names as trade names.

4. Feb 21, 2012 #3
    They are the same but people call different names. They call it FinFET because the shape of the device looks like a fin of a fish. I recalled that Prof. C.M Hu from Berkeley prefer tri-gate. (I don't remember clearly). The performance is better because it has a better subtreshold behavior. The gate has more control on the channel. If you are interested, you may go to Prof. C.M Hu to take a look. There should be some materials about trigate MOSFET.

5. Mar 1, 2012 #4
    FinFET can sometimes refer to a double-gated (side-gated) OR a tri-gated (top and side gated) device. Tri-gated is, as the name says, tri-gated. Tri-gated devices are superior because they have a larger surface area over which the gate contacts. Remember that the gate stack/semiconductor is essentially an M/I/S capacitor. To increase the capacitance, which increases the gate's control over the channel, you want to increase the area over which the capacitor covers.

I suggest this review article: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v479/n7373/full/nature10676.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook