Is My Tri-Quadratic Curve Fit Equation Accurate Enough?

• Thread starter mattskie
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is attempting to do a tri-quadratic curve fit using LINEST in Excel. They have already successfully completed a bi-quadratic fit, but their attempt at a tri-linear fit has resulted in decreasing accuracy after the initial data points. They are seeking help and have provided a link to the data and graph they are working with. They mention using variables x, y, and z for simplicity and that the LINEST function calculates the error parameter b. However, it is not clear how their notation relates to the data or why they would expect to fit a curve using a single parameter. They also mention using an equation from a source, but it provided an erroneous solution.
mattskie
Hey,

So I am trying to do a tri-quadratic curve fit (linear regression) in excel. I have successfully completed a bi-quadratic, and it is of the form:
x+x^2+y+y^2+x*y+b (b is calculated by LINEST in excel)

My attempt at a tri-linear was:
x^2+x*y+x*z+y^2+y*z+z^2+b (b is calculated by LINEST in excel)

This equation was fairly accurate for my first few data points in the 4-curve family of curves I am attempting to curve fit, but after that the accuracy plummets.

I am assuming I am on the right track with this, as I attained some initial accuracy, but this equation isn't 100% because I can see it failing. Any/all help appreciated.

Note: I attempted to use the equation on http://www.rmi.ge/~kade/LecturesT.Ka...adraticLEC.pdf
but it gave an extremely erroneous solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should describe what you are trying to do. To do a cruve fit suggests you have some sort of data. You haven't explained the format of the data or how your notation relates to it. For example, it isn't clear whether your data is triples of the form (x,y,z). If it is, then why would you expect to fit a curve to such data by picking a value for the single parameter b ?

It doesn't appear that you are familiar with the way the LINEST function works, b ends up being the error +/- to fit the curve correctly. Much in the same way as bi-linear provides a b. I made the variables x,y,z for simplicities sake. If you need the data to provide the equation of a tri-quadratic equation (which you shouldn't, there should be an equation much like the bi-linear x+x^2+y+y^2+xy+b)

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2uzxvdt&s=8 <---graph
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2u3wsqt&s=8 <---data

1. What is a tri-quadratic equation?

A tri-quadratic equation is a type of algebraic equation that involves three variables, each raised to the second power. It can also be written as a system of three quadratic equations.

2. How do you set up a tri-quadratic equation?

To set up a tri-quadratic equation, you must first identify the three variables and their corresponding coefficients. Then, you can write out the three quadratic equations and combine them to form the tri-quadratic equation.

3. What is the purpose of solving a tri-quadratic equation?

The purpose of solving a tri-quadratic equation is to find the values of the three variables that satisfy all three quadratic equations. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications.

4. What are some common methods for solving tri-quadratic equations?

Some common methods for solving tri-quadratic equations include substitution, elimination, and using the quadratic formula. Other methods such as graphing and factoring can also be used.

5. Are there any real-world applications of tri-quadratic equations?

Yes, tri-quadratic equations can be used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model the motion of projectiles, predict chemical reactions, calculate optimal production levels, and more.