1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triangle and circumference

1. Sep 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let AC=5 and BC=12. In the triangle ABC, with angle C=90, point M is in AC. A circumference with center M and radius r is tangent to AB and tangent to BC in C. Set r.

2. Relevant equations
    This should envolve basic trigonometry, and Thales' theorem; but not sure ( if I knew the equations for solving the problem, I would alredy knew the answer).

3. The attempt at a solution

By Thales' Therem: AC/BC=(AC-r)/x; then: 5/12=(5-r)/x. But I don't know how to get x. I've tried many proportions and no one just works. I also tried the 2 Thales' theorem, and didn't work either. Let me tell I know the answer, r=12/5, and that this is not for any class, just found on internet, but I can't get to know how to solve it. If any help, appreciate :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2016 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you mean a circle with centre M and radius r? What did you denote by x? Draw a picture of the problem.

4. Sep 19, 2016 #3
    Neither M or r are denoted by x. X is an unknow number, and I use it to make proportions with Thales'.

5. Sep 19, 2016 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you mean on "proportion with Thales"? Thales Theorem states that a triangle inscribed into a semicircle is a right triangle. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ThalesTheorem.html
    There is no inscribed triangle in the problem.
    You should draw a figure to unterstand the problem.
    upload_2016-9-19_21-42-56.png
    You know the tangent of the angle x in the blue right triangle, and also tan(2x) from the triangle ABC.

6. Sep 19, 2016 #5
    Then, tan(x)=12/r and tan(2x)=12/5; Am I right?
    But then, r does not equal 12/5, which is the solution to the problem

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  7. Sep 19, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No. tan is opposite divided by adjacent. You seem to have it backwards.

8. Sep 19, 2016 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you call ##MA = s## and where the green radius hits AB as point D you can use that triangle AMD is similar to triangle ABC and ##r+s=5##. You don't need any trig.

9. Sep 20, 2016 #8
    OK guys, thank you very much, now I know how to solve the problem! One last question: why green radius makes 90 degrees with AB? How do you know that?

10. Sep 20, 2016 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A radius of a circle to a point on its circumference makes a right angle to the tangent at the same point. It's more-or-less definition of a tangent. This generalises to smooth curves and instantaneous centres of arc.

11. Sep 24, 2016 #10
    Thank you very much!!! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted