1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triangle Area Based on Segment Division

1. Sep 25, 2004 #1
    Hi all,

I'm working on this problem in my Geometry class, and am having a bit of trouble coming to a conclusion. The problem as given is (I've attached the figure to this thread):

From this information, I have deduced that triangle DCB is right isosceles, with DC = CB. Also, since <DBC and <DBA are supplementary (by LPP), <DBA = 135, and thus, by Triangle Sum Theorem, <BDA = 15. Then, by AAP, this means that <CDA = 60, and thus triangle ADC is a 30-60-90 right triangle.

I've gotten to this point, and I know the ratios of this special triangle, but I'm having trouble forming the right equations. I was wondering if anyone could give me a lead onto which I could follow.

Thanks a lot! :)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2004 #2
    Nevermind, I figured it out! :)
    For anyone who wants to know how I solved it, this is how I did it:

I assigned "x" as the length DC and CB. Since triangle ADC is a 30-60-90 right triangle, the hypotenuse (DA) must be 2x. Then, using Pythagorean theorem, I derived the following equation:

[itex](2x)^2 - x^2 = (x + 3 - \sqrt{3})^2[/itex]
    [itex]4x^2 - x^2 = (x + 3 - \sqrt{3})^2[/itex]
    [itex]3x^2 = (x + 3 - \sqrt{3})^2[/itex]
    [itex]x\sqrt{3} = x + 3 - \sqrt{3}[/itex]
    [itex]x\sqrt{3} - x = 3 - \sqrt{3}[/itex]
    [itex]x(\sqrt{3} - 1) = 3 - \sqrt{3}[/itex]
    [itex]x = \frac{3 - \sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{3} - 1}[/itex]
    [itex]x = \sqrt{3}[/itex]

From there, I used x^2/2 = area of triangle BCD, so I got 3/2.

By the way, how do I do multi-line LaTeX equations? I tried using the "\\" symbol, both at the end of the previous line and at the start of the next line, and neither worked? (I ended up using multiple [ itex ] tags to get the effect I wanted.)
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?