1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triangle Area

1. Feb 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://g.imagehost.org/view/0549/scan0001 [Broken]

Click the picture to get a larger, readable image.

I don't know where to start.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2009 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

What is the formula for the area of a triangle, if one is given base and height?

Has one done the cross product of two vectors?

4. Feb 6, 2009 #3
    (1/2)b*h

I haven't done the cross-product but it's preparation for the ACT, so there must be another way to do it.

5. Feb 6, 2009 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Nevermind the cross-product. I was thinking that you had to find the area of the triangle. In future, please write out the problem statment in the post, rather than leaving it as a image.

Anyway, so we have A = 1/2 bh, as the area. Now if we take the line segment AB as the base, b, which is fixed, then what does h represent with respect to point C? And if the area, A, and base, b, remain constant, what does that imply about point C with respect to line segment AB?

6. Feb 6, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Take AB as the base. As C moves, A and B stay fixed so b stays constant. In order that the area be constant, h must also be constant. That means C must move along a line parallel to AB.

7. Feb 6, 2009 #6
    Alright, I get it now. Thank you both for the help.

Astronuc, sorry about that. I'll write out the question next time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook