Triangle in 1st quadrant

• Thread starter musicmar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of a triangle formed by the x and y axes and a line through the point (2,1) in the first quadrant, as well as determining the domain of the function and the existence of a maximum and minimum area for some value of x. The area is found using the formula A=1/2 bh, which simplifies to (x^2)/2(x-2). The domain is (2,infinity), and the value of x that results in the maximum and minimum area can be found using the equation a+b≥2√ab, where a= x^2 and b= -4.
musicmar

Homework Statement

a. The area of a triangle is formed in the first quadrant by the x and y axes and a line through the point (2,1).
i. Write the area of the triangle as a function of x.
ii.Determine the domain of the function.
iii.Is there a maximum and minumum area for some value of x? If so, find the value analytically and graphically.

The Attempt at a Solution

I did part i and ii and only really need help with iii.
For i, I drew a graph of the first quadrant with a point at (2,1) and an arbitrary line through it and both axes. I have attached a graph from paint. I found the slope of the blue line (-1/x-2) and set it equal to the slope of the whole line (-y/x) in order to solve for y in terms of x. Because y= x/(x-2), the area of the triangle is:

A= 1/2 bh
=1/2 xy
= (x^2)/2(x-2)

ii. D: (2,infinity)

iii. I know there must be a maximum and minimum area as x approaches 2 and infinity, but I don't know how to "find the value analytically and graphically".

Attachments

• triangle.jpg
    triangle.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 368
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, for local extrema, what can you say about dA/dx?... Is there anywhere else that global extrema may occur?

Ok, you've done i) and ii) well.

Now, use
[tex]\begin{array}{l} (\sqrt{a} - \sqrt{b}) ^ 2 \geq 0 \\ \Rightarrow (\sqrt{a}) ^ 2 - 2\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b} + (\sqrt{b}) ^ 2 \geq 0 \\ \Rightarrow a - 2\sqrt{ab} + b \geq 0 \\ \Rightarrow a + b \geq 2 \sqrt{ab} \end{array} [/tex]

But first...

[tex]A=\frac{x^2}{2(x-2)}[/tex]

[tex]A=\frac{x^2-4+4}{2(x-2)}[/tex]

Now, what can you do?

1. What is a "Triangle in 1st quadrant"?

A "Triangle in 1st quadrant" refers to a triangle that is located entirely within the first quadrant of a coordinate plane, where all three of its vertices have positive coordinates.

2. How do you determine the area of a "Triangle in 1st quadrant"?

To determine the area of a "Triangle in 1st quadrant", you can use the formula A = 1/2 * base * height. The base and height can be found by subtracting the x-coordinates and y-coordinates, respectively, of two vertices. You can also use the shoelace formula, which involves finding the determinant of a matrix formed by the coordinates of the vertices.

3. What are some properties of a "Triangle in 1st quadrant"?

Some properties of a "Triangle in 1st quadrant" include:- All three of its angles are acute (less than 90 degrees).- The longest side (hypotenuse) is opposite the largest angle.- The sum of the lengths of any two sides is always greater than the length of the third side.- The area of the triangle is always positive.

4. What are some real-life applications of a "Triangle in 1st quadrant"?

"Triangles in 1st quadrant" can be found in various real-life scenarios, such as:- The roof of a house, which can be represented by a triangle in a coordinate plane.- The shape of a yield sign, which is a triangle in the first quadrant.- The corners of a bookshelf, which can also be represented by triangles in a coordinate plane.- The shape of a sail on a sailboat, which is a right triangle in the first quadrant.

5. How is a "Triangle in 1st quadrant" different from other types of triangles?

A "Triangle in 1st quadrant" is different from other types of triangles in that it is located entirely within the first quadrant of a coordinate plane. This means that all three of its vertices have positive coordinates. Other types of triangles, such as those in the second, third, or fourth quadrant, may have one or more vertices with negative coordinates.