Calculating Distance Between Inner & Outer Triangles

• Thread starter strokebow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the conversation discusses the placement and area of an inner equilateral triangle within an outer equilateral triangle. The inner triangle has half the area and is placed at the center of the outer triangle. The person is trying to find the distance between one side of the inner triangle and the same side of the outer triangle, and their thinking is to subtract the apothem of the inner triangle from the apothem of the outer triangle. The result they got is (1 - (1/sqrt(2))) * (outer triangle apothem). They are wondering if others get the same result or if they made a mistake.
strokebow
Hi,

I have an equilateral triangle and I put another equilateral triangle within it. The inner triangle has exactly half of the area of the outer triangle. As well, the inner triangle is placed in the centre of the outer triangle i.e. they both have the same central point.

I want to measure the distance from one side of the inner triangle to the same side of the outer triangle.

My thinking is like so:
To find this distance, all i need is the apothem of the larger triangle minus the apothem of the smaller (inner) triangle.

What do you think?

I also calculated this to be: ( 1 - (1/sqrt(2)) ) * ( outer triangle apothem )

Do people get the same result as me? Or did I do something wrong? or make a bad assumption?

please help.

thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's what I get.

1. How do you calculate the distance between two triangles?

The distance between two triangles can be calculated by finding the distance between the centroid of each triangle and then adding the two distances together. The centroid of a triangle can be found by taking the average of the x and y coordinates of its three vertices.

2. What is the formula for finding the centroid of a triangle?

The formula for finding the centroid of a triangle is (x1 + x2 + x3)/3, (y1 + y2 + y3)/3 where x1, x2, x3 and y1, y2, y3 are the x and y coordinates of the three vertices of the triangle.

3. Can the distance between two triangles be negative?

No, the distance between two triangles cannot be negative. Distance is always a positive value, representing the length between two points or objects.

4. Is the distance between two triangles affected by their orientation?

No, the distance between two triangles is not affected by their orientation. The distance is calculated based on the coordinates of their centroids, which remain the same regardless of the orientation of the triangles.

5. How accurate is the distance between two triangles when calculated using the centroid method?

The distance between two triangles calculated using the centroid method is accurate, as it takes into account the overall position of the triangles rather than just the distance between their vertices. However, it may not be as precise as other methods such as finding the shortest distance between the edges of the triangles.