Is There a Way to Prove the Triangle Inequality for Absolute Values?

In summary: Nevermind, I was overthinking this.In summary, to prove that |x+y|</|x|+|y|, we can assume that x and y are real numbers and use the properties of absolute values to show that |x+y| is always less than |x|+|y|. This can be done by adding -|x|-|y| to both sides of the inequality -(|x|+|y|)<x+y<|x|+|y| and using the fact that -|x|<x<|x| and -|y|<y<|y|. This simplifies to |x+y|<|x|+|y|, which proves the original
chocolatelover

Homework Statement

Prove that |x+y|</|x|+|y|

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume that x and y are real numbers.
|5+2|</|5|+|7|
7</7
|-5-2|</|-5|+|-2|
7</7

I know that it is true by testing different numbers, but I'm not sure how to prove it. Could someone please show me how or give me a hint?

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
since -|x|<x<|x|, and -|y|<y<|y| we add these to get

-|x|-|y|<x+y<|x|+|y|=>-(|x|+|y|)<x+y<|x|+|y|,

now from the abs value properties it immediately yeilds to:

|x+y|<|x|+|y| read ''<" as greater or equal to.

Last edited:
Or we could prove it this way also: to prove it it is also sufficient to prove that

[tex]|x+y|^{2}\leq (|x|+|y|)^{2} ?[/tex] so we have

[tex]|x+y|^{2}=(x+y)^{2}=x^{2}+2xy+y^{2}=|x|^{2}+2xy+|y|^{2}<|x|^{2}+2|x||y|+|y|^{2}=(|x|+|y|)^{2}[/tex]

hence we are done.

Thank you very much

Regards

sutupidmath said:
-(|x|+|y|)<x+y<|x|+|y|,

now from the abs value properties it immediately yeilds to:

|x+y|<|x|+|y| read ''<" as greater or equal to.

Why do absolute value properties yield to |x+y|<|x|+|y| from -(|x|+|y|)<x+y<|x|+|y|? Could someone please explain this further?

I don't think its valid in general to add two inequalities like that. But if you accept up to there, then to see the final step is just seeing that if -A < a < A, then we can say |a| < A.

Correction and sincere apologies to sutupidmath, you CAN add inequalities as long as they are pointing the same same direction which in this case in true. And that goes to make an extremely simple proof!

I think vrdfx wasn't asking how -|x|<x<|x| + -|y|<y<|y| = -|x|-|y|<x+y<|x|+|y| => -(|x|+|y|)<x+y<|x|+|y| , but how -(|x|+|y|)<x+y<|x|+|y| yields |x+y|<|x|+|y|.

Does -(|x|+|y|) = |x+y| or something? I don't see how it could...

1. What is the triangle inequality theorem?

The triangle inequality theorem states that the sum of the lengths of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the length of the third side.

2. How is the triangle inequality theorem used in proofs?

The triangle inequality theorem is often used in proofs to show that a given triangle is not possible or to prove the existence of a triangle with certain properties.

3. Can you give an example of a triangle inequality proof?

One example of a triangle inequality proof is showing that a triangle with sides of lengths 3, 4, and 8 cannot exist because 3+4 is not greater than 8.

4. Are there any exceptions to the triangle inequality theorem?

The triangle inequality theorem holds true for all triangles, regardless of their shape or size. There are no exceptions to this theorem.

5. How can the triangle inequality theorem be applied in real-life situations?

The triangle inequality theorem can be applied in various real-life situations, such as designing bridges or buildings, calculating distances in navigation, and creating accurate maps and diagrams.