Understanding Vector Addition: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the vectors A=9 and B=12 are added together along the positive x-axis and the resulting angle is 135 degrees.
nike
This question is about vectors. It said that add following vectors A=9 along the positive x-axis and B= 12 45 degrees postive axis?

this is how I did it. I graphed the B, but I don't know where to put the A, can someone explain this problem to me.
thanx.

Physics news on Phys.org
From the end point of B draw A along x axis and use traingle law.

I still don't get the right answer when i do that.

when you say b=12 45 degrees positive axis, do you mean positive x-axis

yes. that's what i meant.

I presume that you have already drawn B at 45 degrees to the x-axis and 12 units long. Now, starting at the tip of the B vector, draw the A vector parallel to the x-axis and 9 units long. Finally, draw the vector from the beginning of B to the tip of A. Measure its angle and length.

As mukundpa said, you can also do this using trig functions. Your picture should show you a triangle with two sides of length 12 and 9. If you look closely at your triangle you should see that the angle at top (the tip of B) has measure 180- 45= 135 degrees (the angle from the horizontal side to B extended is 45 degrees). You can find the length of the other side of the triangle by using the cosine law: C2= 92+ 122- 2(9)(12)cos(135)= 81+ 144- 216(-√(2)/2)=225+ 108√(2). Now you could use the sine law to find the angle inside the triangle at the start of B and then subtract that from 45 degrees to find the angle the resultant vector makes with the horizontal.

An even simpler way to do this is to use "components". B has length 12 and makes an angle 45 degrees with the x-axis. sin(45)= cos(45)= √(2)/2 so the two legs of the triangle with B as hypotenuse both have length 6√(2). The x and y components of B are both 6√(2). You can write B as 6√(2)i+ 6√(2)j where i and j are the "unit" vectors in the x and y directions. A has length 9 and only goes along the x-axis so it can be written 9i+ 0j. The sum of A and B is (9+ 6√(2))i+ 6√(2)j. Now you could use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of A+ B and arctan(6√(2)/(9+6√(2)) to find the angle.

give u a picture

I drew the picture. (attachment)

Attachments

• aa.JPG
    aa.JPG
    2.4 KB · Views: 334

1. What is the Triangle Law for Vector?

The Triangle Law for Vector is a mathematical rule that states that the vector sum of two or more vectors can be found by placing them head to tail and drawing a vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the last vector. This resulting vector is known as the resultant vector.

2. What is the formula for computing the resultant vector using the Triangle Law?

The formula for computing the resultant vector using the Triangle Law is R = A + B + C, where R is the resultant vector and A, B, and C are the individual vectors.

3. How does the Triangle Law for Vector apply to real-life situations?

The Triangle Law for Vector can be applied to real-life situations where multiple forces or velocities act on an object. For example, in physics, the Triangle Law is used to find the resultant force on an object when multiple forces are acting on it. In navigation, the Triangle Law is used to determine the resulting velocity when an airplane is flying in multiple directions.

4. Can the Triangle Law be applied to more than three vectors?

Yes, the Triangle Law can be applied to any number of vectors. The process remains the same - placing the vectors head to tail and drawing a vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the last vector. This resulting vector is the resultant vector.

5. Are there any limitations to the Triangle Law for Vector?

One limitation of the Triangle Law for Vector is that it can only be applied to vectors that are in the same plane. It cannot be used for vectors that are in different planes. Additionally, the Triangle Law assumes that the vectors are acting on the same point and at the same time, which may not always be the case in real-life scenarios.