1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triangle math help

1. Jul 2, 2010 #1
    I need help....

I am taking physics for the first time and I am taking it online which probably isnt the smartest way to go...but to make matters worse I am also currently enrolled in the calculus class that is a prerequisite for the course at the same time so my math skills are not really up to par...If anyone can help me get through this semester with a better understanding of the course material it would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

Let the three sides of a right triangle be designated a, b, and c where c is the hypoteneuse. If c = 4, and if the angle between c and b is θ = 20°, find the lengths of the other two sides.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Re: I need help....

Start by drawing a diagram of the triangle and put in the angle θ.

You should know that

sinθ = opposite/hypotenuse and cosθ=adjacent/hypotenuse.

4. Jul 2, 2010 #3

First off, thank you for responding so quickly...

I drew a diagram and labeled the sides, then I used sin and cos to find the sides a and b...I got sin (20)= b/4 and cos (20)= a/4...found b= 1.3681 and a= 3.75878....the computer marked my answers wrong...

5. Jul 2, 2010 #4

Given sinθ = 0.6, calculate tanθ without using the inverse sine function, but instead by using one or more trigonometric identities. You will find two possible values.

I found one of the values using sin^2 (theta) + cos^2 (theta) = 1

I tried using cos (90 + theta)= sin theta to find the second one, but couldn't remember if you were able to distribute the cos...since addition is communitive or whatever that property is called...and get cos 90 + cos theta= sin theta

6. Jul 2, 2010 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I think you put the angle in the wrong place. You need to put the angle between the sides b and c.

Which would give you sin(20)=a/4.

Ok well you know that sinθ is positive in quadrants 1 and 2.

So in quadrant 1, draw a triangle at the angle θ.

sinθ = 0.6 = 3/5 = opposite/hypotenuse

Meaning that in your triangle, wrt θ, 3 is opposite and 5 is the hypotenuse.

If you are unsure as to what I meant by quadrants, read http://myhandbook.info/form_trigono0.html" [Broken], the section titled "Trigonometric Functions in Four Quadrants"

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook