1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triangle/median area

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that a triangle's medians after suitable parallel movement (I'm directly translating from Swedish here, excuse any weird sentences) can form a new triangle. Also show that the quotation between the median triangle area and the original triangle area always are the same.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay, so I have a triangle that I've labled ABC. D is the midpoint on AB, E is the midpoint on AC and F is the midpoint on BC and then I draw the medians. I show the first problem by expressing AF, BE and CD through the other vectors and since ABC is a triangle, AB+BC+CA equals zero and I get AF+BE+CD = AB+BC+CA + ½(AB+BC+CA) = 0.

The problem comes with the second part. I know I can express the area of the original triangle in a few different ways;

Area = ½|AB×AC| = P
    Area = ½|BA×BC| = P
    Area = ½|CA×CB| = P

For the median triangle I can say that FA×FE is the median area, but since FE = BE, I can use that instead.

FA is the vector from the midpoint on BC to A, which can be expressed as AB + ½BC.
    BE is the vector from B to the midpoint on AC, which can be expressed as BC + ½CA.

½|FA×BE| = ½|(-AB - ½BC)×(BC + ½CA)|

Since the cross product is distributive over addition and BC×BC = 0:

= ½|-AB×BC - ½BC×BC - AB×½CA - ½BC×½CA| = ½|-AB×BC -½AB×CA - (1/4)BC×CA|

So, AB = -BA. CA = -AC. BC = -CB. Thus:

= ½|-(-BA)×BC - ½AB×(-AC) - (1/4)(-CB)×CA| = ½|BA×BC + ½AB×AC + (1/4)CB×CA|

All of those three equals the area, P:

=½|2P+ P + (1/2)P| = ½|(7/2)P| = (7/4)P.

My question is: does this make sense? It seems odd that the median triangle area should be bigger than the original area.. But then again, it's not impossible - just strange.

Anyway, a yes or a no+explanation where I went wrong would be very helpful!

(should I care that the last expression is CB×CA - because when I expressed the areas in the beginning, I said CA×CB - but in this case (since it's the value we're talking about) it's equal.. even though CA×CB = - CB×CA..)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted