Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triangle problem using vectors

1. Sep 21, 2003 #1

Dx

[SOLVED] triangle problem using vectors

Hi!
    question: Two sides of a triangle are formed by vectors i - 4j-k and -2i - j+k. The area is ?

A=1/2bh so I know to multiply the two vectors as such 1/2(vector1 x vector2) But what do I substitute foe i, j and k? Its not given in the problem.
    so far...
    1/2(-2i^2-ij+ik+8ji+4j^2-4jk+2ki+kj-k^2)
    so what do I substitute foe i, j and k?
    Dx :wink:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2003 #2
    You shouldn't concern yourself with i's and j's for an area problem. A= (1/2)(|v_1|)(|v_2|)sinO. So find the magnitudes of the vectors and find the angle between them.

4. Sep 22, 2003 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How in the world could you be doing a problem like this if you don't know what i,j, i are?

It's not a matter of "what to substitute for i, j, k". They are not numbers. i is the unit vector in the x direction, j is the unit vector in the y direction, k is the unit vector in the z direction.

Also, you do not multiply vectors the way you seem to be trying.

Here, "u x v" is the cross product. It can be defined as "the vector whose length is |u||v|sin(theta) (where theta is the angle between the two vectors) and whose direction is perpendicular to both u and v in the "right hand rule" sense.

It can also be calculated as a determinant:

| i j k|
    | 1 -4 -1|
    |-2 -1 1|
    which equals i((-4)(1)-(-1)(-1))- j(1(1)-(-1)(-2)+ k(1(-1)-(-2)(-4))
    or -5i+ j- 9 k. It's length is [sqrt](25+ 1+ 91)= [sqrt](117)
    Half of that is the area of the triangle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?