Triangle Problem: Max/Min PD+PE+PF

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
Sorry for the bad post!Anyway, i think you posted the problem to the wrong place. It has nothing to do with calculus. It is a pure geometry problem.Sorry again! In summary, the problem asks for the location of point P within an equilateral triangle ABC that would result in the maximum and minimum value of PD + PE + PF, where D, E, and F are the perpendiculars drawn from P to each side of the triangle. Through symmetry considerations, it is determined that the maximum value occurs at the incenter of the triangle, while the minimum value occurs at any vertex of the triangle. By setting up a coordinate system, it is shown that the sum of the three perpendiculars is always constant
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

A point P is located in the interior of an equilateral triangle ABC. Perpendiculars drawn from P meet each of the sides in points D,E,F, respectively. Where should P be located to make PD + PE + PF a maximum? What about a minimum?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From symmetry considerations. I think that the maximum will be at the incenter. I am not sure about the minimum. Maybe at a vertex, but that is not really in the interior... I tried the standard reflections. I am not sure if I actually need to set up a coordinate system with P at the origin... That looks like it could get messy? I am also not sure how to use the fact that this is an equilateral triangle.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

ehrenfest said:
anyone?

Isn't this one of them Lagrange multiplier things ?

Having said that, i don't know how to set up :

1)the funtion that needs to be minimized/maximized

2) the function that is going to be the constraint.

I would reallly like to see the solution to this problem, though.

Marlon

I think it's my english that's bad here, but how can you draw 3 perpendicular lines in a plane?

They are not perpendicular to each other.

They are perpendicular to each side of the triangle.

How about this approach: (sorry for the double post)

Draw segments from P to each vertex of the triangle. You have split the triangle into three new triangles.

The area of each triangle is given by [tex]\frac{1}{2}sh_i[/tex] where s is the side length of the equilateral triangle and h_i is the height of the perpendicular on that side

Through this, we can set up the equality

[tex]\frac{1}{2}sh_a + \frac{1}{2}sh_b + \frac{1}{2}sh_c = \frac{s^2 \sqrt{3}}{4}[/tex]

[tex]h_a + h_b + h_c = \frac{s \sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]

meaning that the sum of the three perpendiculars is always constant regardless of the location of P

well, take the situation that P is at point a, then if you move D a distance d, for instance, you can still hold E still, but you'll have to move F to keep P one point.

now P moves in the direction of E with a distance: 2d/root[3], this is the distance it shrinks.
the distance it grows is: 2d tan(30) = 2d/root[3], this is equal.

because any motion of P can be described as the sum of the motion in the direction of perpendiculars, the distance is always the same.

Last edited:
I must have done something wrong, because chickendude seems right.

EDIT: I've edited my post and saw what i did wrong.

Last edited:
ehrenfest;1550359I am not sure if I actually need to set up a coordinate system with P at the origin... That looks like it could get messy? I am also not sure how to use the fact that this is an equilateral triangle.[/QUOTE said:
Thinking about a coordinate system is a good idea, but the choise of te origin is bad :smile:

Let a vertex of the triangle be at the origin, say B and vertex C, lie on [itex] x [/itex] axe. The coordinates of the vertexes are

[tex] A(\frac{\alpha}{2},\frac{\sqrt{3}\,\alpha}{2}, \,B(0,0), \, C(\alpha,0) [/tex]

where [itex] \alpha [/itex] is the side length of the equilateral triangle.
With this arragement the points [tex] E \in AB,\, F \in AC,\, D \in BC [/tex] have coordinates

[tex]E(\frac{\alpha}{4},\frac{\sqrt{3}\,\alpha}{4}),\,F(\frac{3\,\alpha}{4},\frac{\sqrt{3}\,\alpha}{4}),\,D(\frac{\alpha}{2},0) [/tex]

Now let the coordinates of P be [tex] (x,y) [/tex]. The function you want to extremize is

[tex] f(x,y)=|PD|+|PE|+|PF|\Rightarrow f(x,y)=\sqrt{(x-\frac{\alpha}{2})^2+y^2}+\sqrt{(x-\frac{\alpha}{4})^2+(y-\frac{\sqrt{3}\,\alpha}{4})^2}+\sqrt{(x-\frac{3\,\alpha}{4})^2+(y-\frac{\sqrt{3}\,\alpha}{4})^2} [/tex]​

By finding the critical points of [tex] f [/tex], i.e. [tex] \vec{\nabla}\,f=0 [/tex] you arrive to
  • The minimum value of [tex]f[/tex] correspons to the point [tex] P(\frac{\alpha}{2},\frac{\sqrt{3}\,\alpha}{6}) [/tex] which is nothing else but the circumcenter.
  • The maximum value of [tex]f[/tex] corresponds to the vertex A, thus from symmerty every vertex maximizes [tex]f[/tex]. There is no interior point P, which makes [tex]f[/tex] maximum.

Hope I helped! :smile:

Rainbow Child said:
By finding the critical points of [tex] f [/tex], i.e. [tex] \vec{\nabla}\,f=0 [/tex] you arrive to
  • The minimum value of [tex]f[/tex] correspons to the point [tex] P(\frac{\alpha}{2},\frac{\sqrt{3}\,\alpha}{6}) [/tex] which is nothing else but the circumcenter.
  • The maximum value of [tex]f[/tex] corresponds to the vertex A, thus from symmerty every vertex maximizes [tex]f[/tex]. There is no interior point P, which makes [tex]f[/tex] maximum.

Hope I helped! :smile:

Hmmm. I did not see anything wrong with chickendude's post, which means there is probably something wrong here.

ehrenfest said:
Hmmm. I did not see anything wrong with chickendude's post, which means there is probably something wrong here.

If you consider the point [itex]p[/itex] to be the tip of three triangles, each of which has one of the sides of the original equilateral triangles as it's base then the total area of those triangles will be:
[tex]\frac{1}{2} l_1 s + \frac{1}{2} l_2 s + \frac{1}{2} l_3 s = \frac{1}{2} (l_1 + l_2 +l_3) s[/tex]
which is also the area of the original triangle, which is clearly constant, so
[tex](l_1+l_2+l_3)[/tex]
must be constant.

NateTG said:
If you consider the point [itex]p[/itex] to be the tip of three triangles, each of which has one of the sides of the original equilateral triangles as it's base then the total area of those triangles will be:
[tex]\frac{1}{2} l_1 s + \frac{1}{2} l_2 s + \frac{1}{2} l_3 s = \frac{1}{2} (l_1 + l_2 +l_3) s[/tex]
which is also the area of the original triangle, which is clearly constant, so
[tex](l_1+l_2+l_3)[/tex]
must be constant.

Yes. You just repeated chickendude's proof. I am just saying if that is right, then something is wrong with Rainbow Child's proof.

My mistake!

In my proof I took the points

[tex]E(\frac{\alpha}{4},\frac{\sqrt{3}\,\alpha}{4}),\,F (\frac{3\,\alpha}{4},\frac{\sqrt{3}\,\alpha}{4}),\ ,D(\frac{\alpha}{2},0) [/tex]

which are the midpoints of the sides AB, AC and AD! (nothing to do with the original problem :smile:)

So I gave the answer to the question:

"Which point extemizes the sum [tex] |PD|+|PE|+|PF| [/tex] when D, E and F are the midpoints of the sides!"

Sorry!

1. What is the Triangle Problem: Max/Min PD+PE+PF?

The Triangle Problem: Max/Min PD+PE+PF is a mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum or minimum value of the sum of the three sides of a triangle, where PD, PE, and PF are the lengths of each side. This problem is commonly used in optimization and geometry.

2. How do you solve the Triangle Problem: Max/Min PD+PE+PF?

The Triangle Problem: Max/Min PD+PE+PF can be solved using various methods such as geometry, calculus, or algebra. One approach is to use the Pythagorean theorem to find the relationship between the sides of the triangle. Another approach is to use the Law of Cosines to determine the angles and then use trigonometric functions to find the maximum or minimum value of the sum of the sides.

3. What is the significance of the Triangle Problem: Max/Min PD+PE+PF?

The Triangle Problem: Max/Min PD+PE+PF has practical applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It can help in optimizing the use of resources, determining the most efficient route for transportation, and finding the minimum cost for construction projects.

4. Are there any real-world examples of the Triangle Problem: Max/Min PD+PE+PF?

Yes, the Triangle Problem: Max/Min PD+PE+PF can be seen in real-world scenarios such as finding the shortest path between two points on a map, determining the optimal angle for a ramp or bridge, and minimizing the cost of materials for a construction project.

5. What skills are required to solve the Triangle Problem: Max/Min PD+PE+PF?

Solving the Triangle Problem: Max/Min PD+PE+PF requires a strong understanding of geometry, algebra, and calculus. It also requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills to determine which approach is best for solving the problem.