Triangle Problem: Prove (a+1)(b+1)(c+1) < 4

• Thread starter FeDeX_LaTeX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a triangle with sides of length a, b, and c, where ab + bc + ca = 1. The goal is to prove that (a+1)(b+1)(c+1) < 4. The conversation mentions using the arithmetic/harmonic mean inequality and making substitutions to try to solve the problem. The final solution involves recognizing that (a + 1)(b + 1)(c + 1) - 4(ab + bc + ca) = (a - 1)(b - 1)(c - 1), and using this to show that a, b, and c must be smaller than 1.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let a, b and c be the lengths of the sides of a triangle. Suppose that ab + bc + ca = 1. Show that (a+1)(b+1)(c+1) < 4.

Homework Equations

N/A (Olympiad problem)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've made a few inroads at this problem, but whether or not they're going to take me in the right direction, I'm not sure. I used the arithmetic/harmonic mean inequality to show that:

[tex]9abc \leq a + b + c[/tex]

and I've used substitutions from their original equation to arrive at

[tex]8(a+b+c) \leq (a+b)(1+9c^2) + (b+c)(1+9a^2) + (a+c)(1+9b^2)[/tex]

but I'm puzzled at where to go from here. I don't think it would be useful to consider specific cases such as the equilateral triangle (a = b = c), since we appear to be trying to prove a general case, and I know I mustn't start from their solution and show that it's equal to the original equation.

Am I taking the right approach? Is a geometric approach better? Any hints/tips anyone can give, without giving me the answer?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I recognise that

[tex](a + 1)(b + 1)(c + 1) - 2(ab + bc + ca) - 2 = (a - 1)(b - 1)(c - 1)[/tex]

and so

[tex](a + 1)(b + 1)(c + 1) - 4(ab + bc + ca) = (a - 1)(b - 1)(c - 1)[/tex]

...I feel like I'm close, but not sure where to place the final step.

EDIT: Ugh, it's obvious... clearly the RHS is smaller than zero, so...

[tex](a+1)(b+1)(c+1) < 4(ab + bc + ca)[/tex]
[tex](a+1)(b+1)(c+1) < 4[/tex]

Done.

Last edited:
How do I show that a, b and c are all smaller than 1 though? It's a requirement for the above. I thought it could just be assumed but it is not as simple as that.

1. What is the Triangle Problem?

The Triangle Problem is a mathematical problem that involves proving the inequality (a+1)(b+1)(c+1) < 4 for any positive real numbers a, b, and c.

2. Why is the Triangle Problem important?

The Triangle Problem is important because it is a fundamental concept in mathematics and has many real-world applications. It also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. What is the significance of the number 4 in the inequality?

The number 4 represents the maximum possible value of the expression (a+1)(b+1)(c+1) for positive real numbers a, b, and c. The inequality shows that this maximum value is always less than 4.

4. How do you prove the inequality (a+1)(b+1)(c+1) < 4?

The inequality can be proved using various methods, such as algebraic manipulation, the AM-GM inequality, or geometric proofs. It is important to show that the expression is always less than 4 for any positive real numbers a, b, and c.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Triangle Problem?

The Triangle Problem has applications in fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. It can be used to optimize processes and find the most efficient solutions in various situations.