1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triangle Problem

1. Sep 29, 2012 #1

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let a, b and c be the lengths of the sides of a triangle. Suppose that ab + bc + ca = 1. Show that (a+1)(b+1)(c+1) < 4.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A (Olympiad problem)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've made a few inroads at this problem, but whether or not they're going to take me in the right direction, I'm not sure. I used the arithmetic/harmonic mean inequality to show that:

[tex]9abc \leq a + b + c[/tex]

and I've used substitutions from their original equation to arrive at

[tex]8(a+b+c) \leq (a+b)(1+9c^2) + (b+c)(1+9a^2) + (a+c)(1+9b^2)[/tex]

but I'm puzzled at where to go from here. I don't think it would be useful to consider specific cases such as the equilateral triangle (a = b = c), since we appear to be trying to prove a general case, and I know I mustn't start from their solution and show that it's equal to the original equation.

Am I taking the right approach? Is a geometric approach better? Any hints/tips anyone can give, without giving me the answer?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2012 #2

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

I recognise that

[tex](a + 1)(b + 1)(c + 1) - 2(ab + bc + ca) - 2 = (a - 1)(b - 1)(c - 1)[/tex]

and so

[tex](a + 1)(b + 1)(c + 1) - 4(ab + bc + ca) = (a - 1)(b - 1)(c - 1)[/tex]

...I feel like I'm close, but not sure where to place the final step.

EDIT: Ugh, it's obvious... clearly the RHS is smaller than zero, so...

[tex](a+1)(b+1)(c+1) < 4(ab + bc + ca)[/tex]
    [tex](a+1)(b+1)(c+1) < 4[/tex]

Done.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  4. Sep 30, 2012 #3

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

How do I show that a, b and c are all smaller than 1 though? It's a requirement for the above. I thought it could just be assumed but it is not as simple as that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook