Solving Isosceles Triangle ABC: Finding Angle CDE

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the angle CDE in an isosceles triangle ABC, given that angle BAC is 20 degrees, angle EBC is 50 degrees, angle DCB is 60 degrees, and AB is equal to AC. The conversation explores various methods and approaches to solving the problem, including using sine law, symmetry, and constructive proofs. The final solution is determined to be 30 degrees.
Ursole
An isosceles triangle ABC has a point D on AB and a point E on AC.

Given:
Angle BAC = 20 degrees
Angle EBC = 50 degrees
Angle DCB = 60 degrees.
AB = AC

Find angle CDE.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you could do this by scale drawing, but i can't be bothered to. I drew out some rough shetches and got a few angles but not the one you wanted.

I'd say its 70 degrees

This problem is evil.

Please tell me that the answer is at least a multiple of 10 degrees. Using sine law and some of the symmetry in the figure, I got it down to (sin x)/(sin x+20) = (sin 80)/(sin 40) or something like that, but I don't know how to solve such a complex equation without using a graphing calculator.

Davilla, your equation is correct.

Besides the trignometrical solution, there are as many as eight more elegant consructive proofs.

And, if one is really a masochist, it is possible to attempt a general solution in terms of the three given angles.

Last edited:
Reddhawk said:
I'd say its 70 degrees

I think not...

davilla said:
This problem is evil.

Please tell me that the answer is at least a multiple of 10 degrees. Using sine law and some of the symmetry in the figure, I got it down to (sin x)/(sin x+20) = (sin 80)/(sin 40) or something like that, but I don't know how to solve such a complex equation without using a graphing calculator.

For 0<x<90, sin(x+20) > sin(x). So this can't give you a solution in 0<x<90. And clearly (a reasonable drawing will show) x is in this range. So, it's probably the "something like that" that's right.

For all my talking, I'd better at least, start showing some results...

Ursole said:
Davilla, your equation is correct.

Besides the trignometrical solution, there are as many as eight more elegant consructive proofs.

And, if one is really a masochist, it is possible to attempt a general solution in terms of the three given angles.

Since you suggest "constructive proofs" I think you could start by finding some point P1 on one of AB or AC such that triangle BCP1 is isosceles. On top of this construct more such isosceles triangles. If you're lucky, I think D or E will coincide with some Pn, from which you can calculate angles geometrically.

I "think" this may true. I tried it and found it to be true...but when I rechecked I found it was not...I'm not going to check again now...perhaps later.

davilla said:
I got it down to (sin x)/(sin x+20) = (sin 80)/(sin 40) or something like that,
Sorry, I meant 'something like that' is correct. :wink:

I said "something like that" because I was writing from memory. Anyways I labeled a different angle as x.

Ursole said:
If that's true then I'm convinced there is a right angle in the figure, resulting in even more symmetry. Working backwards from my presumption there are at least seven formulas that, if could be derived from the statements in the problem, would prove that solution. The simplest is to show that 2 * DE = BE. But putting trig aside, the miraculous hidden line, if it exists, is elusive!

Perhaps I'm looking for something that's too easy. After all there are three or four statements needed to define the problem. If no two of them combine in a simplified form, then we're basically dealing with a system of several equations. Either I'm too lazy to churn them or this problem has exposed the limits of my atrophied cognitive capacity!

davilla said:
Working backwards from my presumption there are at least seven formulas that...
No, I meant that there are eight different ways to arrive at the correct answer without using trig. formulae.

Thirty degrees. Sneaky!

Pfft said:
Thirty degrees. Sneaky!
You have posted an answer, whereas I was hoping for a solution. :smile:

Call the bottom of the main triangle side A and the line running from the bottom left corner to theta side B.

Then, by the sin law on the bottom-right triangle,
A/sin40 = B/sin80
A/B = sin40/sin80

Now, notice that the bottom-left triangle is icosceles (80-50-50), so
A/sin(theta) = B/sin(160-theta)
A/B = sin(theta)/sin(160-theta)

Nw we can combine these to get sin(theta)/sin(160-theta) = sin(40)/sin(80)

theta=30.

Oh!

The answer is straight forward, I'll get it to you this time tomorrow.

Pfft

Given:
An isosceles triangle ABC has a point D on AB and a point E on AC.

/_BAC=20 degrees
/_EBC=50 degrees
/_DCB=60 degrees
AB=AC

Find angle CDE

By definition ABC =ACB so ABC and ACB each equal 80 degrees.
ACB-CBE=DBE=30 degrees
By the same logic ACB-BCD=DCE=20 degrees
180-CBE-BCD-DCE=BEC=50 degrees

Note that lines DC and BE form a cross inside of the ABC triangle. We will call that cross point X.
180-BCE-BCD=70=BXC and therefore CXE is also equal to 70 degrees.

Hypothesis: If line BC is extended from C by a distance equal to CD and that distant point were called Y, and a second line is drawn from E to Y and called EY, then a triangle CDY will be formed which may be another isosceles triangle. If is true, then angle ACY=120 degrees and so is CDE+CYE=60. CDE would then equal 30 degrees.

Proof: If CDY were indeed an isosceles triangle, then line segment EY would be a straight line continuation of line DE. Since angle EXD=70 degrees and we wish to prove that CDE=30 degrees, it must be that DEX=80 degrees.
180-BEC-DEX=50=CEY. and CDY+ECY+EYC=180 removing any doubt that the assumption that CDY is an isosceles triangle.

Therefore it must be true that CDE=30 degrees.

Check out http://mathcircle.berkeley.edu/BMC4/Handouts/geoprob.pdf for some interesting historical background to the puzzle, plus EIGHT different solutions.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do you find the missing angle in an isosceles triangle?

To find the missing angle in an isosceles triangle, you can use the fact that the sum of all angles in a triangle is 180 degrees. Since an isosceles triangle has two equal angles, you can subtract the known angles from 180 and divide the result by 2 to find the measure of the missing angle.

2. Can you use the Pythagorean Theorem to solve for the missing angle in an isosceles triangle?

Yes, you can use the Pythagorean Theorem to solve for the missing angle in an isosceles triangle. The Pythagorean Theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. By setting up and solving an equation using the Pythagorean Theorem, you can find the measure of the missing angle.

3. What is the relationship between the angles in an isosceles triangle?

The angles in an isosceles triangle are congruent, meaning they have the same measure. This is because an isosceles triangle has two equal sides, so the angles opposite those sides must also be equal.

4. Can you use the Law of Sines to solve for the missing angle in an isosceles triangle?

Yes, you can use the Law of Sines to solve for the missing angle in an isosceles triangle. The Law of Sines states that the ratio of the sine of an angle to the length of the side opposite that angle is equal to the same ratio for the other two angles and their corresponding sides in a triangle. By setting up and solving an equation using the Law of Sines, you can find the measure of the missing angle.

5. Is it possible to have more than one solution for the missing angle in an isosceles triangle?

Yes, it is possible to have more than one solution for the missing angle in an isosceles triangle. This is because an isosceles triangle can have two equal acute angles or one obtuse angle and two equal acute angles. Therefore, there can be two different measures for the missing angle depending on the specific triangle.