Calculating Ratio of BP and PC in Right Triangle ΔABC

• Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, we are given a right-angled triangle with angle A equal to 90 degrees, and AB and AC being of equal length. We are asked to find the ratio of BP to PC, where P is a point on the side BC and AP is perpendicular to BM. Using the equations of lines and slopes, we can determine that the ratio is 2:1.
songoku

Homework Statement

let [tex]\Delta[/tex]ABC be a right angled triangle such that angle A = 90o, AB = AC and let M be the mid point of the side AC. Take the point P on the side BC so that AP is vertical to BM. Let H be the intersection point of AP and BM. Find the ratio BP : PC

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please give me a clue to start

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Take the point P on the side BC so that AP is vertical to BM.

Do you mean perpendicular?

songoku said:
Please give me a clue to start

Draw a picture

dx said:
Do you mean perpendicular?

yes it's perpendicular

i have drawn a picture

because CM = MA, is it correct if i assume that angle CMB = angle AMB = 22.5o?

thx

Attachments

• pic2.bmp
    45.4 KB · Views: 509
If AB=AC then you got isosceles triangle and the angles are: 90,45,45 degrees. Also P divides BC on two equal parts (since the triangle is isosceles).

Using sine and the Pitagorean theorem you would easly come up with AH and AM. Since AM=AC/2, you will find AC.

Regards.

Last edited:
sorry but the question is BP : PC

if P divides BC on two equal parts, it means that BP : PC = 1 : 1
but the answer is 2 : 1 and i don't know how to get it

is angle CMB = angle AMB = 22.5 degree?

thx

1. A(0,0); B(a,0); C(0,a), M(0,a/2).
2. Slope of MB = -1/2
3. Slope of AP = 2
4. Equation of AP: y = 2x
5. Equation of CB : y = -x + a
6.Intersection of AP & CB is P(a/3, 2a/3).
7. BP: PC = 2:1.

wow, i never thought of using line equation and gradient
really nice...

thx a lot leong ^^

What is a right triangle?

A right triangle is a type of triangle where one of the angles measures 90 degrees. This angle is called the right angle and is formed by the intersection of two sides of the triangle.

How do you calculate the ratio of BP and PC in a right triangle?

The ratio of BP and PC in a right triangle can be calculated using the Pythagorean Theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the longest side) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. The ratio can be found by dividing the length of BP by the length of PC.

What is the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is a mathematical principle that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the longest side) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. It is often written as a^2 + b^2 = c^2, where c is the length of the hypotenuse and a and b are the lengths of the other two sides.

What is the importance of calculating the ratio of BP and PC in a right triangle?

Calculating the ratio of BP and PC in a right triangle is important in understanding the relationship between the sides of a right triangle. It can also be used to solve for missing side lengths or angles in a right triangle.

Are there any other methods for calculating the ratio of BP and PC in a right triangle?

Yes, there are other methods such as using trigonometric ratios like sine, cosine, and tangent. These ratios can be used to find the lengths of the sides of a right triangle if one angle and one side length are known.