Calculating Triangle Area: S1, S2 and ABF

In summary, the conversation is about finding the area of triangle ABC using the known areas of triangles ABF and FGC, with the condition that line AB is parallel to line FG. The formula for the area given is S = (S2/2) + S1 + √((S2^2)/4 + S1S2), and the person asking for help is unsure about their method and asks for clarification. The response is that the answer is correct and the method used is unknown.
Semo727
Triangle Area

Hello!
I came across this: On the picture there is triangle ABC with the unknown area S. All we know is, that area of triangle ABF is S1 and area of FGC is S2. And line AB is parallel with line FG. What is the area of triangle ABC? Thanks for your help!

Im sorry for title of this thread: Triangle volume, I wanted to say "area"(a^2).

And now, I will write what I managed to get:
[tex]S=\frac{S_2}{2}+S_1+\sqrt{\frac{S_2^2}{4}+S_1 S_2 }[/tex]
but, I'm not sure if its right and I don't like the way I got it, could you please tell me what was your way?

Attachments

• triangle.jpg
    triangle.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Semo727 said:
Hello!
I came across this: On the picture there is triangle ABC with the unknown area S. All we know is, that area of triangle ABF is S1 and area of FGC is S2. And line AB is parallel with line FG. What is the area of triangle ABC? Thanks for your help!

Im sorry for title of this thread: Triangle volume, I wanted to say "area"(a^2).

And now, I will write what I managed to get:
[tex]S=\frac{S_2}{2}+S_1+\sqrt{\frac{S_2^2}{4}+S_1 S_2 }[/tex]
but, I'm not sure if its right and I don't like the way I got it, could you please tell me what was your way?

I don't know how you got it, but my answer is the same, so at least you know it's correct. :smile:

-Dan

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question on calculating the area of triangle ABC. I understand the importance of accuracy in calculations and I am happy to help you with this problem.

To calculate the area of triangle ABC, we can use the formula A = (1/2)bh, where A is the area, b is the base, and h is the height of the triangle. In this case, we do not know the base or the height of triangle ABC, but we can use the fact that line AB is parallel to line FG to our advantage.

First, we can find the ratio of the areas of triangles ABF and FGC. Since line AB is parallel to line FG, we can use the fact that corresponding sides of parallel lines are proportional. Therefore, we can write the ratio of the areas as S1/S2 = (AB/FG)^2. We can rearrange this equation to solve for AB: AB = FG * sqrt(S1/S2).

Next, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the height of triangle ABC. Since line AB is parallel to line FG, we can draw a perpendicular line from point A to line FG, creating a right triangle with sides AB, h (the height of triangle ABC), and FG. By the Pythagorean theorem, we can write the equation AB^2 + h^2 = FG^2. We can substitute the value of AB that we found in the previous step and solve for h:

(FG * sqrt(S1/S2))^2 + h^2 = FG^2
(S1/S2)FG^2 + h^2 = FG^2
h^2 = FG^2 - (S1/S2)FG^2
h = FG * sqrt(1 - S1/S2)

Now that we have found the base and height of triangle ABC, we can plug these values into the formula for the area to get the final answer:

A = (1/2)(FG * sqrt(S1/S2))(FG * sqrt(1 - S1/S2))
= (FG^2/2) * sqrt(S1/S2) * sqrt(1 - S1/S2)
= (FG^2/2) * sqrt(S1(1 - S1/S2))

Therefore, the area of triangle ABC is (FG^2/2) * sqrt(S1(1 - S1/S2)).

1. What are the formulas for calculating the area of a triangle using sides S1 and S2?

The formula for calculating the area of a triangle using sides S1 and S2 is: Area = (1/2) x S1 x S2 x sin(A), where A is the angle between sides S1 and S2.

2. How do I find the length of side ABF in a triangle when given the area and sides S1 and S2?

To find the length of side ABF, you can use the formula: ABF = (2 x Area) / S1. This formula is derived from the area formula for a triangle: Area = (1/2) x base x height. In this case, the base is ABF and the height is S1.

3. Can I use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the length of side ABF in a triangle?

No, the Pythagorean Theorem only applies to right triangles, where one angle is 90 degrees. In this case, we cannot assume that the triangle with sides S1, S2, and ABF is a right triangle, so the Pythagorean Theorem cannot be used.

4. How do I calculate the area of a triangle with only one given side?

To calculate the area of a triangle with only one given side, you will also need to know the corresponding angle to that side. Then, you can use the formula: Area = (1/2) x side x side x sin(angle). If the angle is not given, it is not possible to calculate the area with only one given side.

5. Can I use the same formula to calculate the area of any triangle?

Yes, the formula for calculating the area of a triangle using sides S1 and S2 can be used for any type of triangle, whether it is acute, right, or obtuse. However, for obtuse triangles, the angle A will be greater than 90 degrees, so you will need to use a calculator to find the sine of the angle in the formula.