Triangle with Fubini - Solving Integral Problem

• Thread starter Faust90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the conversation is about showing the following statement: for a subset D of R^2 that forms a triangle with vertices at (0,0), (1,0), and (0,1), and a steady function g, the double integral of g(x+y) over D is equal to the integral of g(t)*t from 0 to 1. The conversation also includes a proposed solution using substitution and a reminder to evaluate the innermost integral first and consider the steadiness of g.
Faust90
Hi,

I should Show the following:

D is subset of R^2 with the triangle (0,0),(1,0),(0,1). g is steady.

Integral_D g(x+y) dL^2(x,y)=Integral_0^1 g(t)*t*dt

my ansatz:

Integral_0^1(Integral_0^(1-x) g(x+y) dy) dx

With Substitution t=x+y

Integral_0^1(Integral_x^1 g(t) dt) dx

But now i don't Have any ideas how to go on:-(

Physics news on Phys.org
Faust90 said:
Hi,

I should show the following:

[itex]D \subseteq R^2[/itex] with the triangle (0,0),(1,0),(0,1). g is steady.

[itex]\int_D g(x+y) dL^2(x,y)=\int_0^1 g(t)\ t \ dt[/itex]

My answer:

[itex]\int_0^1(\int_0^{(1-x)} g(x+y) dy) dx[/itex]

With Substitution t=x+y

[itex]\int_0^1(\int_x^1 g(t) dt) dx[/itex]

But now I don't have any ideas how to go on :frown:
I cleared up your post, hope you don't mind. Or, in terms of your username,

"'Twere better nothing would begin.
Thus everything that that your terms, sin,
Destruction, evil represent—
That is my proper element.”
-Goethe​

My love of good literature aside, there are two things you need to remember to continue. Firstly, you are evaluating the a double integral, so you need to evaluate the innermost one first. Secondly, g is steady. What might that imply about its integral?

Hi,

thanks for your answer :) One of my favorite quotations.
I think I got it. If somebody want, i can write the solution here.

Greetings

1. What is the concept of Fubini's Theorem?

Fubini's Theorem is a mathematical concept that states that the order of integration in a multiple integral can be changed without affecting the result, as long as the integral is over a region that is rectangular or can be divided into rectangular pieces.

2. How is Fubini's Theorem applied to solve integral problems involving triangles?

In order to solve an integral problem involving a triangle using Fubini's Theorem, the given integral must be transformed into a double integral over a rectangular region. This is done by using the limits of integration and the appropriate order of integration to cover the entire triangular region.

3. What are the advantages of using Fubini's Theorem to solve triangle integral problems?

The main advantage of using Fubini's Theorem to solve triangle integral problems is that it allows for easier integration as the integral is transformed into a double integral over a rectangular region. This makes the integration process simpler and more efficient.

4. Are there any limitations to using Fubini's Theorem in solving triangle integral problems?

While Fubini's Theorem is a powerful tool for solving triangle integral problems, it can only be applied if the given integral is over a region that is rectangular or can be divided into rectangular pieces. If this condition is not met, Fubini's Theorem cannot be used to solve the problem.

5. Can Fubini's Theorem be used to solve any type of integral problem?

No, Fubini's Theorem can only be applied to solve double integrals where the region of integration is rectangular or can be divided into rectangular pieces. It cannot be applied to triple integrals or integrals over non-rectangular regions.