Proving Lower Triangular Matrices When i > j

• Thread starter HMPARTICLE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, Homework Equations:I have found by experiment that when i = j, ##B_{ij}## is still lower triangular, and that omitting row 2 and column 1 results in a matrix that is again lower triangular.
HMPARTICLE

Homework Statement

Prove that is ##A## is lower triangular and ##B_{ij}## is the matrix that results when the ith row and jth column of A are deleted, then ##B_{ij}## is lower triangular if i > j.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a square matrix is lower triangular if and only if the jth column starts with at least j-1 zero's for every j.

I am attemting to prove this by contradiction.
If i = j, then the jth column of B has j-1 zeros, but this is true?
if i was to take a 4 x 4 lower triangluar matrix and delete its first row and first column would the 1st,2nd,3rd,4th columns have 0,1,2,3 zeros respecively?Lets ignore that, prehaps I am saying/doing something silly, to finish my proof by contradiction i also have to show that for i < j, we don't have a lower triangular matrix.

if the ith row and the (i+n)th collumn, where n is a postitive integer, of A is deleted, then the ...

ah I am really not getting this one guys. I am lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have i not followed the forums rules? if not could someone please point out the error of my ways

HMPARTICLE said:
Have i not followed the forums rules? if not could someone please point out the error of my ways

I think you have not done "enough" work on your own to satisfy PF requirements. You ask: "if i was to take a 4 x 4 lower triangluar matrix and delete its first row and first column would the 1st,2nd,3rd,4th columns have 0,1,2,3 zeros respecively?" I do not see why you cannot answer this for yourself: just draw a sketch of what a 4 x 4 lower triangular matrix must look like, then remove its first row and column. What does it look like now? Try to generalize this to removing row ##r## and column ##c## from a lower-triangular matrix, where ##r = c##. What does the new matrix look like? Ditto if ##r > c##.

Likes HMPARTICLE
Thanks, Ray. Maybe i should have made what i HAD done already a little more clear.

I have already done what you said, regarding a 4x4 matrix and eliminating the first row and column, what results is another lower triangular matrix. the question asks me to show that that if i > j then ##B_{ij}## is a lower triangluar matrix. but in the 4 x 4 example, when i = j, ##B_{ij}## is a lower triangular still, so is proof by contradtiction not the way to go?

in summary;
I have found by experiment, when i = j, ##B_{ij}## is still lower triangular
Also using a 4 x4 matrix as an experiment, when the first row and second column are deleted, what results is another lower triangular matrix. that is i < j

finally, when the second row and the first column are deleted, that is i > j, now, this is not lower triangular, since the first row is a row of zeros.

Prehaps I am not understanding the question, but what is evedent from experiment is that the opposite of what i have to prove is true.
I hope my definition of a lower triangular is correct;
that is, each entry to the right of the main diagonal is zero.

That is where my confusion lies.

Last edited:
HMPARTICLE said:
Thanks, Ray. Maybe i should have made what i HAD done already a little more clear.

I have already done what you said, regarding a 4x4 matrix and eliminating the first row and column, what results is another lower triangular matrix. the question asks me to show that that if i > j then ##B_{ij}## is a lower triangluar matrix. but in the 4 x 4 example, when i = j, ##B_{ij}## is a lower triangular still, so is proof by contradtiction not the way to go?

in summary;
I have found by experiment, when i = j, ##B_{ij}## is still lower triangular
Also using a 4 x4 matrix as an experiment, when the first row and second column are deleted, what results is another lower triangular matrix. that is i < j

finally, when the second row and the first column are deleted, that is i > j, now, this is not lower triangular, since the first row is a row of zeros.

Prehaps I am not understanding the question, but what is evedent from experiment is that the opposite of what i have to prove is true.
I hope my definition of a lower triangular is correct;
that is, each entry to the right of the main diagonal is zero.

That is where my confusion lies.

When you omit row 2 and column 1 you get a matrix that is again lower triangular. The fact that the first row is all zero is irrelevent; all that matters is that elements strictly to the right of the diagonal are zero---and they are in your case.

1. What is a lower triangular matrix?

A lower triangular matrix is a type of square matrix where all the elements above the main diagonal are zero. The main diagonal is the line of elements from the upper left to the lower right of the matrix.

2. How do you prove that a matrix is lower triangular?

To prove that a matrix is lower triangular, you need to check that all the elements above the main diagonal are zero. This can be done by inspecting the matrix or by using mathematical operations to manipulate the elements of the matrix.

3. What is the significance of proving a matrix is lower triangular?

Proving that a matrix is lower triangular is important in linear algebra and other fields of mathematics. Lower triangular matrices have many useful properties and can be used to solve systems of linear equations, compute determinants, and find eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

4. Are there any special methods or techniques for proving a matrix is lower triangular?

Yes, there are several methods and techniques that can be used to prove a matrix is lower triangular. These include direct inspection, mathematical induction, and row reduction. Which method is most appropriate depends on the specific matrix and the desired level of rigor.

5. Can a non-square matrix be lower triangular?

No, a lower triangular matrix must be square, meaning it has the same number of rows and columns. This is because the main diagonal of a matrix can only exist in a square matrix. Non-square matrices can have similar properties, such as being upper triangular or diagonal, but they cannot be lower triangular.