1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triangular Resistance Network

1. Apr 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assuming R = R' in the network shown above, determine the net resistance between the points a and c. Express your answer as a number times R.
    b. Assuming R = R', determine the net resistance between the points a and b.
    c. Now suppose R' = 2.5R, and find the net resistance between points a and b.
    P26_36.jpg
    2. Relevant equations
    Req=R1+R2+R3
    For resistors in series

1/Req= 1/R1+1/R2+1/R3
    For resistors in parallel
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to redraw the circuit, but I'm not sure I did it right. Also, I would think that the resistance would just be R because there is only one resistor from a to c, but that seems too easy. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The answer is not R as there is certainly more than one path from a to c. You really should show at least some of your attempt(s) even if they didn't pan out, and not just say that you tried this or that. We need to see how you've approached the problem in order to know how best to help.

See the thread: Combining Resistors

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted