Triangulated radius

• Thread starter bretus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radius
In summary, the individual is seeking a formula to calculate the base of a triangle and scribe an arc with the apex of the triangle in order to accurately cut pickets for arches under a Queenslander house. They have determined that the shape of the curve is not important, as long as it is repeatable for different cord lengths. They have also mentioned using a template, but have opted for the triangular method in order to lay out the curve in place over different spans. The individual has clarified that the maximum radius they can scribe is 2300mm and the rise will be consistent at 450mm for all spans. They are looking for a formula that will allow them to physically scribe the lines for the ellipses on
bretus
HI
i have a problem working out the correct arch under a queenslander house 3 metres in the air
The span etween the pillers is 3280mm
So the cord is 3280mm and from the center of the cord to the radius is 450mm
I have worked the radius out to be 5238mm
Since the house is only 3000mm of the ground the center of the arc is aprox 2000mm below ground so i won't be able to pivot a string on the ground to scribe the arc on the pickets so i can cut them to the correct lenght.
I need a formula caculating the base of a triangle and scribing an arc with the apex of the triangle
ie:
A nail at the base of each piller with a piece of string around both nails up to the apex touching the middle picket. With a pencil placed at the apex in the string scribing an arc of a circle with a radius of 5238mm. what would the size of the base of the triangle have to be?
As i have about 10 arches to do all of varrying size

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello bretus and welcome to Physics Forums.

You have left out one vital piece of information

Your first information describes a circular arc.

Your proposed method will generate an elliptical arc.

So which do you want?

Hi Studiot
OK the shappe of the curve is not important but it must be repeatable on different cords
So if i run the cord from the center of first picket to the center of the last picket the cord length will be 3132mm and from center of cord to top of ellipse will be 450mm
So i need a formula to calculate the base so i can scribe the ellipse given that i only have 3000mm in hight to work with

Well I am not quite sure what you are trying to achieve, or what you mean by the same curve.

You have provided two different centre measurements (3280 & 3132).

So does this mean that the centres vary?

The rise to span for a circular arc will, in general, be greater than for an ellipse of a similar span.

Obviously if the spans vary then each one will have to be worked out separately as they cannot have the same rise and radius.

Can you not use a template? Say one made of hardboard. It would be easier to mark and cut on a bench than in situ. You could easily access the centres then.

For setting out a circular curve I usually make use of the formula

Deviation or offset of a circular curve froma straight line = Y2/2R

The 3280mm cord was for a circle the 3132mm cord is for an elipse
the 450mm rise is fixed regardless of curve or span
No it is not possable to use a template would be to difficult
I only went for the triangular method to give me a means of laying out the curve in place over different spans
As the first and last pickets are 1150mm long and the middle picket is 700mm long hence the 450mm rise with 29 total pickets in the 3280 span(piller to piller) 3132mm being from center first picket to center last picket
The first, center and last picket lenghts are fixed on all spans
Hope this makes it clearer

Does this help?

You can measure along the straight at the apex or between the springings as shown.

Attachments

• setout1.jpg
    setout1.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 394
Thats the way i first tried and is in the beginning of this post

It gave me a 5238mm radius whichn is not possible to measure because house is only 3000mm

of the ground. Which means i can not scribe the line because the maximum radius i can scribe

is 3000mm -700mm length of middle picket which is 2300mm maximum radius.

Thats why I opted for base triangle scribing elipse with apex

Because adjusting the length and hieght of the base(from the ground) i can scribe an elipse

maintaining a 450 rise with different spans.

this method will involve clamping a piece of timber at a specific hieght between the pillers

and fitting 2 screwws a set distance apart in that timber

With the equation to work this out i can physicaly scribe the lines for the elipses on all the

spans.

Given that all spans start and end with a 1150mm picket with a 700mm picket in the center

with the remaining picket needing to be scribed and cut to lengh

and the spans will very from 1500mm to 3280mm

I'm sorry you didn't understand my diagram.

You can measure along the straight

Measuring offsets from the straight (tangent) is totally different using a radius (centre) point.

You only need the radius to perform calculations according to my formula.

Then you measure offsets from a straight line at distances calculated by my formula.

It is a very easy formula and allows ready construction of a table of distances and offsets.

Yes i know what you mean but that solution does not enable me to physically scrib a line on the end of string to the pickets.

And will involve about 800 separate calculations for all the spans.

The largest single point radius i can scribe is 2300mm which means that some of the pickets won't even be reached.

And the length of the first and last and center pickets cannot be changed which means the 450mm rise will be the same for all the different spans

Last edited:

1. What is a triangulated radius?

A triangulated radius is a mathematical term used to describe the distance between the center of a circle and one of its points, as determined by using three different points on the circle.

2. How is a triangulated radius calculated?

The triangulated radius is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the distance between two points on the circle is used as the hypotenuse of a right triangle and the distance from the center to one of those points is used as one of the legs. The formula for calculating the triangulated radius is: r = √(x1² + x2² + x3²) / 2.

3. What is the significance of a triangulated radius?

A triangulated radius is significant in geometry and trigonometry, as it helps to determine the properties and measurements of circles. It is also used in various applications such as engineering and architecture to accurately measure distances and angles.

4. Can a triangulated radius be negative?

No, a triangulated radius cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the distance from the center of a circle to one of its points.

5. How is a triangulated radius used in real-world scenarios?

A triangulated radius is used in various real-world scenarios such as calculating the circumference and area of a circle, determining the position of objects in space, and measuring distances in navigation and surveying. It is also used in computer graphics to create circles and curves.

Back