1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triatomic molecule

1. Nov 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider an electron of a linear triatomic molecule formed by three equidistant atoms. We use [tex] |\phi_A>, |\phi_B>, |\phi_C>[/tex] to denote three orthonormal staes of this electron, corresponding respectively to three wave functions localized about the nuclei of atoms A, B and C. We shall confine ourselves to the subspace of the state space spanned by [tex] |\phi_A>, |\phi_B>, |\phi_C>[/tex].

When we neglect the possibility of the electron jumping from one nucleus to another, its energy is described by the Hamiltonian [tex]H_0[/tex] whose eigenstates are the three states [tex] |\phi_A>, |\phi_B>, |\phi_C>[/tex] with the same eigenvalue [tex]E_0[/tex]. The coupling between states [tex] |\phi_A>, |\phi_B>, |\phi_C>[/tex] is described by an additional Hamiltonian W defined by:

[tex] W|\phi_A> = -a|\phi_B>[/tex]
    [tex] W|\phi_B> = -a|\phi_A> - a|\phi_C>[/tex]
    [tex] W|\phi_C> = -a|\phi_B>[/tex]

where a is a real positive constant.

a) Calculate the energies and stationary states of the Hamiltonian [tex] H = H_0 + W[/tex].

2. The attempt at a solution

[tex] H_0 = E_0 \[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
    1 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 1 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 1 \end{array} \right)\] [/tex]

[tex] W = -a\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
    0 & 1 & 0 \\
    1 & 0 & 1 \\
    0 & 1 & 0 \end{array} \right)\] [/tex]

[tex] H = H_0 + W = E_0 \[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
    1 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 1 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 1 \end{array} \right)\] [/tex] [tex]-a\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
    0 & 1 & 0 \\
    1 & 0 & 1 \\
    0 & 1 & 0 \end{array} \right)\] [/tex]

[tex] H = \[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
    E_0 & -a & 0 \\
    -a & E_0 & -a \\
    0 & -a & E_0 \end{array} \right)\] [/tex]

When I try to calculate the eigenvalues of this matrix to get the energies, I end up with an algebraic mess that involves a cubic function for [tex]\lambda[/tex] and I'm not sure how to solve, so I think I'm probably on the wrong track.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2007 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're on the right track, you have to solve the cubic function in [tex] \lambda [/tex] to get the eigenenergies and their associated wave functions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?