Tribological problem involving a MoS2 coating

• Thread starter PerennialII
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coating
In summary, a MoS2 coating has a problem finding a suitable value for its elastic modulus. A researcher found elastic data for a class of plastics, but it was not specified in percentages. From density data, they were able to guess the percentage of molybdenite. They then calculated the elastic modulus of MoS2 using two different compositions and found that the value was around 100 to 130 GPa.
PerennialII
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm working on a tribological problem involving a MoS2 coating, molybdenite, but am having a problem finding a suitable value for its elastic modulus (Young's modulus). Anyone got any insight ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is hard to find elastic data for oxides, sulfides, etc. Hardness numbers are easily had though. Let me look around, and see if I find anything...

Still no luck...but perhaps an idea :

MoS2 is used as a lubricating additive in certain plastics. The resultant is essentially a plastic-ceramic composite. For composites, you probably know that the modulus of the composite is a linear function of the moduli of the components weighted by their volume fractions. So, if you can find modulus data for such plastics giving the percentage of moly in it, you can calculate the modulus of MoS2 from that.

I found such data for one class of plastics (ComAlloy), but unfortunately it didn't specify percentages. Yet, from density data, I was able to guess percentages (since I know the density of MoS2). Using two different compositions, I calculated E = 110 GPa and E = 117 GPa respectively. Since these numbers are pretty close to each other, they may not be a terrible approximation.

So, my final word on this, for now is : E(MoS2) ~ 100 to 130 Gpa (or 15,000 to 19,000 ksi)

Last edited:
Thanks for a great effort ! I searched quite a bit myself and came pretty empty handed ... I' going to go with the value you suggested and try to verify it from a couple of coating producers ... they should have an idea, although as you said, parameters like elastic modulus can be really tough to come by for sulfides etc (and many producers etc. don't really focus on mechanical props of coatings you can actually use in e.g. mechanical analysis). And the value you get is consistent with the behavior of the coating I'm working on, I essentially have a brittle & soft MoS2 on a tool steel, and the failure behavior under tribological contact resembles spalling of kind (under relatively light contact conditions [compared to coatings like TiN, DLC etc.] huge chunks of it start to fracture off). Thanks again !

Wanted to give an update ... got in touch with couple of people who have actually measured the E using nanoindentation ... their experiments & experiences with MoS2 have been that its elastic modulus is typically between 90 to 110 GPa (the hexagonal structure does not really help in characterization either) ... so your estimate was really good :smile: .

wow, I'm sort of impressed by gokul

1. What is a MoS2 coating and how does it work in tribological problems?

A MoS2 coating is a thin layer of molybdenum disulfide applied to a surface to reduce friction and wear in tribological systems. MoS2 is a naturally occurring mineral that has a layered structure, allowing it to act as a solid lubricant. When applied as a coating, it can form a low-friction layer between two surfaces, reducing the amount of wear and friction in a tribological system.

2. What are some common tribological problems that can be solved with a MoS2 coating?

MoS2 coatings are commonly used to solve tribological problems such as high wear rates, excessive friction, and seizing or galling in mechanical systems. They are also effective in reducing the noise and vibration associated with these issues.

3. How is a MoS2 coating applied to a surface?

A MoS2 coating can be applied through various methods, such as spraying, dipping, or brushing. The surface must first be cleaned and prepared to ensure proper adhesion of the coating. The coating is then applied in a thin layer and allowed to dry or cure before the system is put into operation.

4. Are there any limitations to using a MoS2 coating in tribological systems?

While MoS2 coatings are effective in reducing friction and wear in many tribological systems, they may not be suitable for all applications. They may not perform well under extreme temperatures, high pressures, or in corrosive environments. Additionally, the coating may wear off over time and need to be reapplied.

5. How can I determine if a MoS2 coating is the right solution for my tribological problem?

The best way to determine if a MoS2 coating is suitable for your specific tribological problem is to consult with a tribology expert or conduct testing to evaluate the performance of the coating in your system. Factors such as operating conditions, type of surfaces, and expected lifespan should also be considered when deciding on a coating solution.