1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tributary Distance

1. Mar 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This represents simply supported beam resting on two columns. Two uniformly distributed loads act on the beam.
    upload_2016-3-16_12-31-57.png
    What is the distance taken by each column in this case?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I calculated reaction forces. I have bending and shear forces diagrams. I do not know what to refer to in order to obtain tributary distances of each columns..(bending moment diagram, centre of gravity??? ).

Values are rounded up if anybody wonders. The distances in the diagram are not known by the way.

Thanks a lot an d please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2016 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The term "tributary width" or "tributary area" is often used when determining loads on columns from floor or roof slab loads. I have never heard the term 'tributary distance' used for simple single beam design on 2 supports.
    I suppose, since you have already calculated the column loads, that the tributary distance from the right support is the distance where the total of the distributed load from that point to the right end is equal to the right column load you calculated. I guess.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted