How can I simplify commutators with a useful trick?

In summary, the conversation covers the topic of commutators, specifically the commutator between angular momenta and position-momentum operators. The formula for this commutator is derived using the general formula for commutators and the explicit form of the angular momenta operator. The conversation also touches on the potential difficulty of working out the commutator and suggests starting with simpler cases before moving on to more complex ones.
Fys
[tex] \left[L_{x},L_{y}\right]=\left[yp_{z}-zp_{y},zp_{x}-xp_{z}\right]
=\left[yp_{z},zp_{x}\right]-\left[zp_{y},zp_{x}\right]-\left[yp_{z},xp_{z}\right]+\left[zp_{y},xp_{z}\right]
[/tex]

How next?

My book is not of much help
I Tried
[tex] \left[A,BC\right]=\left[A,B\right]C+B\left[A,C\right] [/tex]

But that is too much work
Does anybody knows a useful trick or something
not only for this case, but for al commutators

Thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
Sometimes you must do the hard work. It depends from case to case regarding what trick you can use, no gereneral rule.

But the general formula for angular momenta commutators is:
[tex] [J_i , J_j ] = i\hbar \epsilon _{ijk} J_k [/tex]

Yes thanks
but how can i work this out?

Fys said:
Yes thanks
but how can i work this out?

by working out all partial commutators and using the commutator between position and momentumoperators. Or starting from group theory of rotations.. but I assume this is introductory QM course, so start with the first option ;)

[tex] \left[yp_{z},zp_{x}\right]-\left[zp_{y},zp_{x}\right]-\left[yp_{z},xp_{z}\right]+\left[zp_{y},xp_{z}\right] [/tex]

Start with [tex] \left[A,BC\right]=\left[A,B\right]C+B\left[A,C\right] [/tex]
a couple of times til you get things like [x,p_y] ; [y,z] etc

I got the same task in my intro QM course, took me a couple of hours ;)

oke thanks :P

Easier: first work out [L_i,x_j] and [L_i,p_j] using the explicit form of L_i. Then use the [A,BC] formula to get [L_i, x_j p_k].

1. What is a commutator in science?

A commutator is a mathematical operation that shows how two quantities or operations interact with each other. It is represented by the symbol [A, B], where A and B are the quantities or operations being compared.

2. Why is solving commutators important in science?

Solving commutators is important in science because it helps determine the order in which operations are performed and the resulting outcome. This is crucial in understanding the behavior of systems and making predictions.

3. What is the trick for solving commutators?

The trick for solving commutators is to use the properties of commutativity and anti-commutativity. If the quantities or operations commute, they can be rearranged without changing the result. If they anti-commute, they change sign when rearranged.

4. Can you provide an example of solving a commutator problem?

Sure, let's look at the commutator [A, B] where A and B are matrices. If A and B commute, then [A, B] = AB - BA. If A and B anti-commute, then [A, B] = AB + BA. Using this, we can solve for the commutator [A, B] given specific matrices for A and B.

5. Are there any real-world applications of commutators?

Yes, commutators are used in various scientific fields, including quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics. They are also used in computer science for data processing and cryptography.