Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trick question

1. May 26, 2005 #1

This was a popular one when I was younger, but I haven't heard it lately. What comes next in the sequence? This is way a trick question. Only a small percentage of people have even a chance of figuring it out.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2005 #2
    This being a trick question, I guess it is a comma sign ',' ;)
    Or maybe a number...

4. May 26, 2005 #3
    I think I have seen this before. I think the next number in the sequence is (highlight) -->> 69.

5. May 26, 2005 #4
    mathwurkz, your statement is correct, but it is not an answer to the puzzle.

Don't look at the answer unless you give up (which as I said, almost everyone must).

Answer: These are the stops on the Frankfort elevated in Philadelphia. The next stop is Milbourne. The one after that is 69.

6. May 26, 2005 #5

JamesU

Gold Member

I don't get it

7. May 26, 2005 #6
    My physics teacher told me that one in high school. Are you from Philly?

8. May 26, 2005 #7
    I'm from South Jersey. I went to Temple.

9. May 26, 2005 #8
    I'm sorry my post was not specific enough. Here is the answer:

The Frankfort elevated is a subway/elevated train in Philadelphia. It makes stops at the following stations:
    2nd Street, 5th Street, 8th Street, etc. as in the sequence. The next stop after 63rd Street is Milbourne Avenue, then 69th Street.
    So the answer to the question 'what comes next in the sequence?' is 'Milbourne'. Mathwurkz said 69 is the next number in the sequence which is true but is not the answer to the question.

Last edited: May 26, 2005
  10. May 28, 2005 #9
    yeeee haaaaaa
    it would have been much more fair puzzle if it hadn't been so location-specific. of the more interest is the fact that playing around with removing commas (,) in first some numbers we can receive numers like
    25 then 81 etc - so the game is to look up the exact squares in the mess, and predict the next number... that't the math. that's the teaser.

11. May 28, 2005 #10
    that's gonna burst people head...

12. Jun 10, 2005 #11
    i just spent an hour trying to find it out and i had no chancei have school in 2and 1/2h and i havent slept :mad:

13. Jun 10, 2005 #12
  14. Jun 10, 2005 #13
    This is a silly puzzle. It requires non-common out side knowledge. It seems to this puzzle is equivalent to: asking what is my address.

15. Jun 10, 2005 #14
    JonF, read the puzzle again.

16. Jun 14, 2005 #15
    I can say he is right. I'm from Turkey and I pondered at least 15 minutes about this. I did a lot of calculations to no avail...

17. Jun 16, 2005 #16
    Actually, i never bother much with the sequence puzzles, i always apply the Backward Difference Table method and come up with an answer that has a logical explanation ( because the numbers always form the points of some polynomial :rofl: ). Ofcourse this is just one way, there are dozens of more methods each giving different answers and each having its own logical explanations. What i am trying to say is, we can just see the solution given here and enjoy how another number is obtained from a different logic.

wisredz,
    You can go ahead and form a sequence number method from the roads of turkey and we all can enjoy that sequence puzzle too :smile: In that time, i will form something excruciatingly painful sequence from my country side.

-- AI

18. Aug 8, 2005 #17
    :cry: :cry: :cry:

This is the one post I try and do on my own without looking and spend some time on it. I tried it because you said it was popular as a child....

19. Aug 29, 2005 #18
    really bit tricky !

i pondered about this question 1 minute just if i can do or not , but i came to stupid answer which is ============ " 66".might be correct, i did not get any formula to play on this question.

it does nto make any sense to me !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?