Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tricks to remember things

1. Jan 12, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

My memory is getting worse by the day and it is very, very annoying, like going into a shop and getting all your food and then finding you have forgotten your credit card ,and then finding you have forgotten were you put your credit card ,normally i only put it in one place or my pocket but of late i seem to put it in other places, this is so wrong, i do not worry about most things but this is a pain in the ass.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2008 #2
    you're just worried about possibly falling into that hole

--it's distracting the thinking processes

4. Jan 12, 2008 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I have become a creature of habit to avoid misplacing things.

When I come home from work, my purse goes on the counter, my keys into the key pouch, my glasses into the purse. I keep my checkbook, my cell phone, and my notepad in separate compartments in my purse.

You don't have a purse. What I did for my ex-husband that lost something everyday was to buy him a nice wooden valet that had a place for everything. When he came home from work he had to place everything in this valet. I had to take all of his credit cards and checkbook away from him as he traveled a lot and I got sick of the 2AM calls saying he'd left everything at some airport counter or taxi.

You need a basic lifestyle change to place everything at the door when you come home, then you won't be hunting for things in the morning.

5. Jan 12, 2008 #4

wolram

Gold Member

A wooden valet, is such a good idea, i mean if placed in the correct position where one can see it near the door, you aint just a cool babe.

6. Jan 13, 2008 #5
    As you said, Evo, devising a routine and sticking to it absolutely ensures you don't misplace things you routinely need. I have a table next to my front door, and every day, upon coming in the door, I follow the same routine. If I find myself walking into the kitchen with my car keys in hand, I immediately turn 'round and go back to the table and put them down. It's cell phone out of my purse and on the table, plugged in to recharge. House keys and car keys on the table. Other miscellaneous, lose-able bits of my life are kept in specific designated pockets in my purse, and I don't deviate from where each item belongs. New purses confuse me, both in trying to grasp the new layout and organise the placement of each item and then recalling what my brilliant organisational plan was.

Also, I've become a chronic list-maker. I keep a small pad of paper in the kitchen on which to write needed food and household items as they happen. If I left it until actual shopping time, I'd never remember each item that had run out. Better to write it down as it happens. And I'm also a list-maker for what I need to accomplish through the course of the day (beyond regular work-related stuff). Otherwise I find myself annoyed with me at the end of the day because I forgot to phone the bank and call the vet and follow up with the realtor.

I don't think I've always been like this. I subscribe to the theory that as we age, our brains get full of important stuff, so we have to leave ourselves reminders of the mundane. :approve:

7. Jan 13, 2008 #6
    Wolram, do you remember that time I lent you all that money?

8. Jan 13, 2008 #7
    wear one big coat. i find that i lose thing more in the summer than in the winter, because I use my coat as a warehouse. i keep everything i need in it, wallet, phone, pen, money...ect. try and get one that has a lot of pockets in the inside. its even better than a PDA, because it dosent malfunction (most of the time. dont ask). Also, try and keep a full-keyboard cellphone or one of those things called notepads. i think they still sell them in antique stores...

9. Jan 13, 2008 #8

wolram

Gold Member

Are you still on about the measly 50,000?

10. Jan 13, 2008 #9

wolram

Gold Member

I had a pay as you go mobile and i lost it, i rang my own number in the hope of hearing it
    ring imagine my surprise when what sounded like an Indian chap answered it.

11. Jan 13, 2008 #10

keep calling the number back and have all your friends too--until he gives you back the phone

12. Jan 13, 2008 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I also get myself pretty confused if I deviate from a routine. When I was traveling over the holidays, I stuck my checkbook into my purse (I never carry it in my purse usually because I don't pay anything by check other than bills I pay while sitting at my desk at home, but thought I best have it while on an extended vacation in case any odd expense came up where they wouldn't take credit cards...rare today, but it happens). Anyway, after I got home and then had some bills to pay, I was turning over the whole house trying to figure out where I put my checkbook! Then I remembered it was in my purse. :redface:

13. Jan 13, 2008 #12
    One thing that I've done since high school is I try to place an 'importance' on things----I tell myself that what ever I read, what ever I see, who ever I met--that there is an 'importance' to it or them. I may have been doing it longer, but it became more of a conscious thing in high school.

14. Jan 13, 2008 #13
    Here's what I do. For instance, to remember my license plate number 428-JKR
    Four is the number of miles from my home to the turnpike entrance. Two is the number of times that it snowed here in 1978. Eight is the cube of two. J is the first letter of my name. K stands for K-mart, a department store in this area, R stands for rectangle. This also helps me to remember the 4 at the beginning because a rectangle has four sides. There see how easy it is?

15. Jan 13, 2008 #14
    Problem with routines is that as soon as you break it, you prolly won't remember where you broke it. So you can lost something at one of those lapses.

16. Jan 14, 2008 #15

wolram

Gold Member

I have trained myself not to leave my cottage without stopping and thinking first ,it may look strange, a guy just standing still for a few minutes, but i stop and think check my pockets for card, cash, keys, and i check the shelf where i keep all appointment cards etc.
    I also put any large item by the door when i know i have to take it some where.

After all that i get in the car with my slippers on.

17. Jan 14, 2008 #16
    My Dad of late has the same problem. It's something inevitable as you grow old. He has this knack of losing important documents. Then he blames Mom for misplacing them while cleaning. Then sure enough after a few days, the said document appears from either his pockets or from a drawer. What follows I tell you is quite a scene :biggrin:
    Now he keeps everything filed, but every once in a while this sort of thing happens.

18. Jan 14, 2008 #17
    Wow, can you illustrate how you do the same with your bank account and credit card numbers too?:devil:

19. Jan 15, 2008 #18
    :biggrin: Okay, there's no hope for you, then.

20. Jan 15, 2008 #19

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Anything of any importance goes in my wallet. Once it reaches a thickness of L, as described by Britney Gallivan's equation (where n is always equal to 1), I buy a new wallet. The really important stuff gets transferred to my new wallet, the stuff that might be important stays in the old wallet and gets tossed in a drawer, and the stuff that I can't recognize anymore gets thrown away. I'm currently about 54% of the way through my current wallet's lifetime .... unless I win $284 dollars in a slot machine that pays out in one-dollar bills, in which case my wallet instantaneously becomes obsolete.

Most annoying is the incredible number of passwords scrawled on post-it notes and stuffed in my wallet. Most computers/accounts lock you out permanently long before I've tried all the passwords in my wallet (it would be dangerous to have your account number, username, and password all on the same piece of paper).

I've found it helpful to arrange my passwords into Jeopardy categories which help me remember which computer/account numbers the passwords pertain to. I still only have a [tex]e^{\frac{-L}{\pi}}[/tex] probability of accessing any of my accounts, but I've gotten very good at Jeopardy.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  21. Jan 15, 2008 #20

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I woke up this morning absolutely positive it was Saturday. I remember going to bed last night thinking "thank goodness the weekend is finally here". Obviously, today is only Tuesday. :cry:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?