1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tricky Calculus III Problem

1. Sep 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume of the solid that lies in between both of the spheres:

x2+y2+z2+4x+2y+4z+5=0
    and
    x2+y2+z2=4

2. Relevant equations
    This is the first chapter of the calculus III material so no double or triple integrals are needed to solve this problem.

3. The attempt at a solution

I completed the square on the first equation and obtained:

(x+2)2+(y-2)2+(z+2)2=4

So I just have 2 intersecting spheres. Finding the volume of a "slice" of a sphere can be done using a solid of revolution, however, I would need know how far one sphere is intersecting into the other in order to calculate the volume.

My idea is to minimize the distance between (x+2)2+(y-2)2+(z+2)2=4 and the point (0,0,0). Then I will be able to figure out how "thick" the 2 "slices" of the spheres are.

However, I'm not quite sure how to do this. I know how to find the distance between points in space but solving for each variable I will wind up with 2 solutions because of the radical. Is there an easier way to do this that I am missing?

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, the easiest way to solve this is by calculating a double integral with spherical coordinates, but you said that this is not needed.

Your method is also nice, but a little more work. Let's see if we can do it right.

We need to find the shortest distance between (0,0,0) and the equation [itex](x+2)^2+(y-2)^2+(z+2)^2=4[/itex].
    We can do that by calculus by minimizing a certain function, but that might get tedious. Here's another method: the line which has the shortest distance connect (0,0,0) with (-2,2,-2) (the center of the circle). So you only need to set up the equation of the line and see where it intersects the sphere.

4. Sep 8, 2011 #3
    Genius! I love it. Can't believe I didn't think of that.

so for the line I I created the equation x=-2t,y=t,z=-2t

Next I plugged the equation into the sphere with it's center at (-2,1,-2) obtaining...

[tex]
    (-2t+2)^2+(t-1)^2+(-2t+2)^2=4
    [/tex][tex]
    2(4t^2-8t+4)+(t^2-2t+1)=4
    [/tex][tex]
    9t^2-18t+5=0
    [/tex][tex]
    t=\frac{1}{3},\frac{5}{3}
    [/tex]

The first t value is the one that will help me so I plugged it back into my equation for a line, obtaining[tex](\frac{-2}{3},\frac{1}{3},\frac{-2}{3})[/tex]

The distance from (0,0,0) to this point turns out conveniently be 1. So one half of the solid section has a distance of 1 from the edge of the sphere.

Now I integrate to find the volume of the whole solid.

[tex]2\pi\int^{2}_{1}4-y^2 dy = 2\pi[4y-\frac{y^3}{3}]^{2}_{1}=\frac{10\pi}{3}[/tex]

Does this look correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook