Calculating Volume of Intersecting Spheres | Calculus III Problem"

In summary, this student solves the homework equation by using two methods. One is by finding the shortest distance between two points and the other is by plugging an equation into a sphere and solving for the volume.
themadhatter1

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid that lies in between both of the spheres:

x2+y2+z2+4x+2y+4z+5=0
and
x2+y2+z2=4

Homework Equations

This is the first chapter of the calculus III material so no double or triple integrals are needed to solve this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I completed the square on the first equation and obtained:

(x+2)2+(y-2)2+(z+2)2=4

So I just have 2 intersecting spheres. Finding the volume of a "slice" of a sphere can be done using a solid of revolution, however, I would need know how far one sphere is intersecting into the other in order to calculate the volume.

My idea is to minimize the distance between (x+2)2+(y-2)2+(z+2)2=4 and the point (0,0,0). Then I will be able to figure out how "thick" the 2 "slices" of the spheres are.

However, I'm not quite sure how to do this. I know how to find the distance between points in space but solving for each variable I will wind up with 2 solutions because of the radical. Is there an easier way to do this that I am missing?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the easiest way to solve this is by calculating a double integral with spherical coordinates, but you said that this is not needed.

Your method is also nice, but a little more work. Let's see if we can do it right.

We need to find the shortest distance between (0,0,0) and the equation [itex](x+2)^2+(y-2)^2+(z+2)^2=4[/itex].
We can do that by calculus by minimizing a certain function, but that might get tedious. Here's another method: the line which has the shortest distance connect (0,0,0) with (-2,2,-2) (the center of the circle). So you only need to set up the equation of the line and see where it intersects the sphere.

Genius! I love it. Can't believe I didn't think of that.

so for the line I I created the equation x=-2t,y=t,z=-2t

Next I plugged the equation into the sphere with it's center at (-2,1,-2) obtaining...

[tex]
(-2t+2)^2+(t-1)^2+(-2t+2)^2=4
[/tex][tex]
2(4t^2-8t+4)+(t^2-2t+1)=4
[/tex][tex]
9t^2-18t+5=0
[/tex][tex]
t=\frac{1}{3},\frac{5}{3}
[/tex]

The first t value is the one that will help me so I plugged it back into my equation for a line, obtaining[tex](\frac{-2}{3},\frac{1}{3},\frac{-2}{3})[/tex]

The distance from (0,0,0) to this point turns out conveniently be 1. So one half of the solid section has a distance of 1 from the edge of the sphere.

Now I integrate to find the volume of the whole solid.

[tex]2\pi\int^{2}_{1}4-y^2 dy = 2\pi[4y-\frac{y^3}{3}]^{2}_{1}=\frac{10\pi}{3}[/tex]

Does this look correct?

1. What is Calculus III?

Calculus III is the third course in the calculus sequence, following Calculus I and II, and is also known as Multivariable Calculus. It focuses on the study of functions of several variables, including vectors, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus.

2. What is a "Tricky Calculus III Problem"?

A "Tricky Calculus III Problem" refers to a challenging mathematical problem that requires advanced knowledge and skills in Calculus III. These problems often involve complex calculations and require creative problem-solving techniques.

3. How can I approach solving a "Tricky Calculus III Problem"?

To solve a "Tricky Calculus III Problem", it is important to first understand the problem and what is being asked. Then, break the problem down into smaller parts and use the concepts and techniques learned in Calculus III to solve each part. Finally, combine the solutions to each part to arrive at the final answer.

4. What are some common topics covered in "Tricky Calculus III Problems"?

Some common topics covered in "Tricky Calculus III Problems" include partial derivatives, multiple integrals, line integrals, surface integrals, and vector calculus. These problems may also involve complex curves, surfaces, and volumes in three-dimensional space.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving "Tricky Calculus III Problems"?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving "Tricky Calculus III Problems". Be sure to review and understand the concepts and techniques covered in class, and try to solve a variety of challenging problems. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or attending review sessions can also be beneficial.