1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tricky commutator

1. Oct 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Part of a much larger problem dealing with the heisenberg picture. I am not remembering how to start evaluating the following commutator:

[tex]\left [ a_k(t),\left(\sum_{k,\ell}a_k^\dagger <k|h|\ell>a_\ell\right)\right][/tex]

2. Relevant equations

See (a)

3. The attempt at a solution

Just need some help getting started on this one, after that I'm good. What I do know is that when you do the commutator you cannot just lump the first term ([itex]a_k(t)[/itex]) into the sum.. any hints on how to go about breaking this down? Halp!

Thanks

IHateMayonnaise

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To start with, the commutator is distributive (i.e. [Itex][A,B+C]=[A,B]+[A,C][/itex] ), so you take the sum out front. Also, like any inner product, [itex]\langle k|H|l\rangle[/itex] will be a scalar, and so can be pulled outside the commutator....

4. Oct 29, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the reply!

So you said that because the commutator is distributive I can take the sum out front. Do you mean I can do this:

[tex]
    \left [ a_k(t),\left(\sum_{k,\ell}a_k^\dagger a_\ell\right)\right]=\sum_{k,\ell}<k|h|\ell> \left [ a_k(t),a_k^\dagger a_\ell\right]
    [/tex]

5. Oct 29, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, exactly...now keep going....simplify the commutator [itex]\left [ a_k(t),a_k^\dagger a_\ell\right][/itex]

6. Oct 29, 2009 #5
    I think I got it from here, thank you so much for your help!

7. Oct 29, 2009 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Wait, what does the index [itex]k[/itex] represent in the [itex]a_k(t)[/itex]?....If it is not being summed over you should use a different letter for the dummy index in your sum.

[tex]\left [ a_k(t),\left(\sum_{n,\ell} a_n^\dagger a_\ell\right)\right]=\sum_{n,\ell} \left [ a_k(t),a_n^\dagger a_\ell\right][/tex]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook