Understanding Continuity: Exploring Uniform Continuity in E² to ℝ Functions

• Thread starter NasuSama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, the function f(x,y) is continuous everywhere except at (0,0) where it has the value 0. The function may be uniformly continuous on the closed and bounded set in the complement of the origin, but it is not uniformly continuous on the entire complement of the origin. It is necessary to consider closed and bounded sets in order to determine the uniform continuity of the function.
NasuSama

Homework Statement

Given that:

[itex]
f(x,y) =
\begin{cases}
xy/(x² + y²), & \text{if }(x,y) \neq (0,0) \\
3n+1, & \text{if }(x,y) = (0,0)
\end{cases}
[/itex]

Discuss the continuity of that function from E² to ℝ.

Homework Equations

• Definition of continuity
  • Definition of uniform continuity

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I said that f(x,y) is continuous everywhere except at (0,0) since ½ and 0 occur when (x,y) = (0,0) [can't put them in formal proof].

I want to test if f(x,y) is uniformly continuous. Using the definition of uniform continuity, [itex]\forall \epsilon > 0 \exists \delta > 0[/itex] such that:

If [itex]|(x,y) - (a,b)| < \delta[/itex] then [itex]|f(x,y) - f(a,b)| < \epsilon[/itex]

Given these intervals, I have:

[itex]|(x,y) - (a,b)| < \delta[/itex]
[itex]√((x - a)² + (y - b)²) < \delta[/itex] ← I'm not quite sure if this is correct.

[itex]|f(x,y) - f(a,b)| < \epsilon[/itex]
[itex]|xy/(x² + y²) - ab/(a² + b²)| < \epsilon[/itex] ← I'm stuck here. I don't know how to get from delta interval to here and figure out the appropriate substitution of [itex]\delta[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
NasuSama said:

Homework Statement

Given that:

[itex]
f(x,y) =
\begin{cases}
xy/(x² + y²), & \text{if }(x,y) \neq (0,0) \\
3n+1, & \text{if }(x,y) = (0,0)
\end{cases}
[/itex]

Discuss the continuity of that function from E² to ℝ.

Homework Equations

• Definition of continuity
  • Definition of uniform continuity

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I said that f(x,y) is continuous everywhere except at (0,0) since ½ and 0 occur when (x,y) = (0,0) [can't put them in formal proof].
The statement that "½ and 0 occur when (x,y) = (0,0)" is incorrect- or badly stated. When (x, y)= (0, 0), the function value is 0. I don't know what you mean by "½ and 0 occur".
What you mean, I believe, is that as (x,y) approaches (0, 0) along the line y= 0 we have [itex]\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{x(0)}{x^2}= 0[/itex] but approaching (0, 0) along the line y= x, we have [itex]\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{x(x)}{x^2+ x^2}= 1/2[/itex].

I want to test if f(x,y) is uniformly continuous. Using the definition of uniform continuity, [itex]\forall \epsilon > 0 \exists \delta > 0[/itex] such that:

If [itex]|(x,y) - (a,b)| < \delta[/itex] then [itex]|f(x,y) - f(a,b)| < \epsilon[/itex]
Since f maps R2 to R, the "| |" in [itex]|f(x,y)- f(a,b)|[/itex] is the usual absolute value. But what does it mean in [itex]|(x,y)- (a,b)|[/itex]?

Given these intervals, I have:

[itex]|(x,y) - (a,b)| < \delta[/itex]
[itex]√((x - a)² + (y - b)²) < \delta[/itex] ← I'm not quite sure if this is correct.

[itex]|f(x,y) - f(a,b)| < \epsilon[/itex]
[itex]|xy/(x² + y²) - ab/(a² + b²)| < \epsilon[/itex] ← I'm stuck here. I don't know how to get from delta interval to here and figure out the appropriate substitution of [itex]\delta[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon[/itex]
Isn't it sufficient to note that f(x,y) is uniformly continuous on any closed and bounded set[/tex] on which it is continuous? So this f is uniformly continuous on any set that does not include (0, 0) or have (0, 0) in its boundary.

"uniformly continuous" implies "continuous". If the function is not continuous, why do you test if it is uniformly continuous?

It is. I would expect that the square of this inequality is more useful.

What does that 3n+1 do there? What is n?

HallsofIvy said:
The statement that "½ and 0 occur when (x,y) = (0,0)" is incorrect- or badly stated. When (x, y)= (0, 0), the function value is 0. I don't know what you mean by "½ and 0 occur".
What you mean, I believe, is that as (x,y) approaches (0, 0) along the line y= 0 we have [itex]\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{x(0)}{x^2}= 0[/itex] but approaching (0, 0) along the line y= x, we have [itex]\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{x(x)}{x^2+ x^2}= 1/2[/itex]. Isn't it sufficient to note that f(x,y) is uniformly continuous on any closed and bounded set[/tex] on which it is continuous? So this f is uniformly continuous on any set that does not include (0, 0) or have (0, 0) in its boundary.

Yes, that is what I mean that xy/(x² + y²) is ½ and 0 at the origin.

But how do you know that f(x,y) is uniformly continuous?

Last edited:
mfb said:
"uniformly continuous" implies "continuous". If the function is not continuous, why do you test if it is uniformly continuous?

It is. I would expect that the square of this inequality is more useful.

What does that 3n+1 do there? What is n?

Yes, that is true. But continuous function doesn't really imply uniform continuous function. For instance, f(x) = x² is not uniformly continuous, though it is continuous.

Well, if we take x = 3n + 1 and y = n and work out the computation, then the inequalities hold.

Never mind. I checked out the theorem online that my instructor hasn't gone over yet. It's true that the domain consisting of all real values except the origin is closed, so if f is continuous on the closed and bounded set, then it's uniformly continuous on that same set.

The complement of the origin is not closed because it is possible for sequence of non zero values to converge to zero.

It is also not bounded. So there is a valid question here of whether the given function is uniformly continuous on the complement of the origin, i.e. the same set where it is continuous.

But it seems unlikely, since if e = 1/4 >0, then for any d>0, you can always find two points "d-near" (0,0) hence "d-near" each other , with on on the line y=0 and the other on the line y=x, such that at one of them f is close to 0, and at the other f is close to 1/2.

If the values of f at the two points are close enough to 0 and 1/2 respectively, then the values of f at the two points will be further than 1/4 apart.

A typical bounded and closed set in the complement of the origin, on which the function will be uniformly continuous, is a closed disc centered at the origin, with a smaller such closed disc removed, i.e. a closed annulus centered at the origin.

1. What is a tricky continuity problem?

A tricky continuity problem is a mathematical or scientific question that deals with the concept of continuity, which is the idea that a function or process can change smoothly and without interruption. These problems typically involve finding the limit of a function at a specific point, and can be challenging to solve because they may require advanced mathematical techniques.

2. How do I know if a function is continuous?

A function is continuous if it does not have any abrupt changes or jumps in its graph. This means that the value of the function at a given point is equal to the limit of the function at that point. To determine if a function is continuous, you can check if it satisfies the three conditions of continuity: the function is defined at the point, the limit of the function exists at the point, and the limit is equal to the value of the function at the point.

3. What is the difference between continuity and differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are two related but distinct concepts in calculus. Continuity refers to the smoothness of a function, while differentiability refers to the existence of a derivative at a given point. A function can be continuous but not differentiable, meaning that it is smooth but does not have a well-defined slope at a certain point. On the other hand, a function that is differentiable at a point must also be continuous at that point.

4. How can I solve a tricky continuity problem?

Solving a tricky continuity problem involves understanding the concept of continuity and using mathematical techniques such as the epsilon-delta proof, the squeeze theorem, and the intermediate value theorem. It is also important to have a strong foundation in calculus and algebra. Practice and persistence are key to solving these types of problems.

5. Why are continuity problems important in science?

Continuity problems are important in science because they help us understand how natural phenomena change and evolve over time. In physics, for example, the concept of continuity is crucial to understanding how objects move and how forces act on them. In biology, continuity is essential to understanding the growth and development of organisms. Continuity also plays a role in many other fields, including economics, engineering, and computer science.