1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tricky contour integral

1. Apr 24, 2007 #1
    Contour integral

How would you deal with this?

[tex]\int \frac{\rho \sin{\theta} d \rho d \theta}{\cos{\theta}} \frac{K^2}{K^2 + \rho^2} e^{i \rho \cos{\theta} f(\mathbf{x})}[/tex]

if the cos(theta) were'nt on the bottom I'd have no problem; I'd simply substitute for cos(theta) and the sin(theta) would cancel...

but as it stands.. I'm stumped.

Help/hints would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you sure there should be a cos(theta) in the denominator? Where did that expression come from?

4. Apr 24, 2007 #3
    well I had something like:

[tex]\int \frac{d^3 \mathbf{q}}{\mathbf{q_z}} \frac{2K^2 + \mathbf{q}^2 - (\mathbf{q} \cdot \hat{x})^2}{2(K^2 + \mathbf{q}^2)}e^{i \mathbf{q_{\perp}} \cdot \mathbf{x}}e^{i \mathbf{q_z} f(\mathbf{x})}[/tex]

I made q_z parallel to x, (which means the first exponential disappears), converted into spherical coords, integrated over \phi from 0 to 2pi, and thus...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  5. Apr 24, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I guess I'm stumped as well. Anybody else seen something like that?

6. Apr 24, 2007 #5
    I wasn't correct in some of the things I wrote in the two equations. The second exponential in particular...

I edited them so they're correct now. Not sure if it makes a difference but perhaps it helps? Might make sense how I got from one to the other now anyway...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?