1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tricky Derivative! - I need quick help

1. Oct 18, 2005 #1
    I am faced with the function:

Can anyone think of a QUICK, EFFECTIVE way of finding the first derivative of this function, in simplified form??

I have tried using the product/quotient laws, and I am now facing huge expanding! (The document is attached).
    I am assuming that this is a very ineffective way of finding the derivative, so then I tried another method...
    I used logarithmic differentiation, but I realized that in order to get it into simplified form I will have to do much factoring/expanding also.

Then I thought, maybe using first principles would be easier? But I haven't tried that method yet. I'm assuming it will also consist of a lot of expanding.

Without telling me to use "delta-epsilon" because I haven't learned that yet, how can I find this derivative?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2005 #2
    I would break it up and brute force it. I don't see any shortcuts.
  4. Oct 18, 2005 #3

Anyone else?... Please......................
  5. Oct 18, 2005 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't see anything that can be done to make this less painful.
  6. Oct 18, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

You might (??) gain some simplicity by multiplying out all of the polynomials before plug-n-chug......
  7. Oct 18, 2005 #6
    I guess I will have to....
  8. Oct 19, 2005 #7
    sometimes don't you just want to hug maple :)
  9. Oct 19, 2005 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?