Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Tricky Derivative! - I need quick help

1. Oct 18, 2005 #1
    I am faced with the function:
    [tex]f(x)=\frac{e^x(x^2+x+4)+e^{-x}(x^3-1)(x^8+1)}{(e^x+x^2+1)(x^6e^x+2)}[/tex]

Can anyone think of a QUICK, EFFECTIVE way of finding the first derivative of this function, in simplified form??

I have tried using the product/quotient laws, and I am now facing huge expanding! (The document is attached).
    I am assuming that this is a very ineffective way of finding the derivative, so then I tried another method...
    I used logarithmic differentiation, but I realized that in order to get it into simplified form I will have to do much factoring/expanding also.

Then I thought, maybe using first principles would be easier? But I haven't tried that method yet. I'm assuming it will also consist of a lot of expanding.

Without telling me to use "delta-epsilon" because I haven't learned that yet, how can I find this derivative?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2005 #2
    I would break it up and brute force it. I don't see any shortcuts.

4. Oct 18, 2005 #3
    :eek:

Anyone else?... Please......................

5. Oct 18, 2005 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't see anything that can be done to make this less painful.

6. Oct 18, 2005 #5

hotvette

Homework Helper

You might (??) gain some simplicity by multiplying out all of the polynomials before plug-n-chug......

7. Oct 18, 2005 #6
    I guess I will have to....

8. Oct 19, 2005 #7
    sometimes don't you just want to hug maple :)

9. Oct 19, 2005 #8
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook