1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tricky differentiation

1. May 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find [tex]\frac{dU_{ave}}{d\beta}[/tex]

where

[tex]U_{ave}=\sum_{k}\left(\frac{U_{k}exp(-U_{k}\beta)}{exp(-U_{k}\beta)}\right)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My answer is supposed to be [tex]-(U_{ave}^{2})+(U_{ave})^{2}[/tex]

However I keep getting zero. I can only assume that the summation sign has something to do with the final form of the answer, but I have no idea how to deal with it. Can anyone offer a suggestion? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2008 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

I suspect you've written the problem incorrectly here. As you've written it,

[tex]U_{ave}=\sum_{k}\left(\frac{U_{k}exp(-U_{k}\beta)}{exp(-U_{k}\beta)}\right) = \sum_k U_k [/tex]

What it should be is

[tex]U_{ave} = \frac{\sum_k U_k e^{-U_k \beta}}{\sum_k e^{-U_k \beta}}[/tex]

This is a standard integral in statistical mechanics, and there's a neat trick that always goes along with solving it. Supposing U_k is indepent of beta, write the denominator as

[tex]-\sum_k \frac{\partial}{\partial \beta} e^{-U_k \beta}[/tex]

Pull the derivative outside the sum, and you note that what you have looks like (1/y) dy/dx = d(ln y)/dx. Then, take the second derivative of that result:

[tex]-\frac{\partial}{\partial \beta} \frac{\partial \ln Z}{\partial \beta} = \mbox{answer}[/tex]

where [itex]Z = \sum_k \exp(-U_k \beta)[/itex].

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  4. May 26, 2008 #3
    Hmm, I've transcribed the problem straight from the question sheet. I too had that thought.

I'm not sure I follow you with your methodology though. If I try to solve the equation using the standard quotient rule, it gives me zero - is there a reason for that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?