Efficiently Solve a Tricky Double Integral with These Proven Methods

In summary, the given integral cannot be solved using traditional methods and the attempts made using Fresnel functions, Taylor series, and polar coordinates have all failed. However, a user pointed out that it can be solved using a simple substitution.
Batmaniac

Homework Statement

Evaluate:

[tex]
\int_{0}^{4} \int_{\sqrt{x}}^{2}e^y^3dxdy
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well that's a Fresnel type function so you can't find an antiderivative for it. I'm pretty sure the point of this assignment isn't Taylor series so I'm quite certain we aren't expected to go down that route.

I tried integrating over x first so my new integral became:

[tex]
\int_{0}^{2} \int_{0}^{y^2}e^y^3dydx
[/tex]

(did I do this right?)

which after you integrate the inner integral you obtain:

[tex]
\int_{0}^{2}y^2e^y^3
[/tex]

Which is an even more complicated integral.

I also tried converting to polar coordinates but obtained this even more difficult integral:

[tex]
\int_{0}^{2\sqrt{10}} \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}e^{{r^3}{cos^3\theta}}d\theta{dr}
[/tex]

So any ideas? I tried the two methods we learned in class and the methods which we are supposed to be tested on in this assignment and got nowhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
The integral of y^2*e^(y^3) is a simple substitution.

Wow, didn't see that, thanks!

1. How do I solve a tricky double integral?

There are several proven methods for efficiently solving tricky double integrals. Some common techniques include using substitution, integration by parts, and splitting the integral into smaller parts. It is important to carefully analyze the integral and choose the most appropriate method for solving it.

2. Can I use graphing to solve a double integral?

While graphing can be a helpful tool in understanding the geometric interpretation of a double integral, it is not a reliable method for solving it. Graphing can give an idea of the overall shape of the function, but it cannot provide an exact solution.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a double integral?

One common mistake is forgetting to change the limits of integration when using a substitution. It is also important to carefully evaluate the integrand and make sure all terms are accounted for. Additionally, paying attention to the order of integration can make a significant difference in the final solution.

4. How can I check if my solution to a double integral is correct?

One way to check the answer is to use software or a graphing calculator to evaluate the integral. Another method is to take the partial derivatives of the solution and see if they match the original integrand. If they do, then the solution is likely correct.

5. Can I use trigonometric substitutions in a double integral?

Yes, trigonometric substitutions can be useful in solving certain types of double integrals. However, it is important to carefully choose the appropriate substitution and make sure the limits of integration are adjusted accordingly. It is also helpful to know the trigonometric identities to simplify the integral further.