How Steep is the Hill if a Car Uses More Power Climbing It?

• Thread starter curly_ebhc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a car of mass 1900kg traveling at a steady speed of 27 m/s up and down a hill. The force of friction is the same in both directions and it takes 49 more horsepower to go up the hill than down the hill. By setting it up as an energy problem and using the equations for potential energy and a right triangle, the inclination of the hill is determined to be 1.95 degrees. The final answer is rounded to 2 significant figures.
curly_ebhc

Homework Statement

There is a car of mass 1900kg that travels at a steady speed of 27 m/s up and down a hill. The force of friction is the same in both directions and it takes 49 more horsepower to go up the hill than down the hill. What is the inclination of the hill.

Given: mass of car= 1900kg , velocity = 27 m/s, difference in power =49 hp =35000 W.

I set it up as an energy problem. First I got rid of time and set that for every second the car traveled 27 m and the difference in the (change in) energy was 35000 J.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Step 1: I set ∆PE(up) -∆PE(down) = 35000J
Then 2∆PE(up)=35000J

Step 2: I used potential energy

h= 35000J/[2(1900kg)(10 m/s2) = .92 m

Step 3: A set up a right triangle: hypotenuse=27m and height=.92m

I used theta=arcsine (.92m/27m) = 1.95 Degrees.

I don’t know the answer but I think that I did everything correctly. Can anyone find a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me!

You might want to give the final answer to 2 sig figs though.

Good job.

Your approach to solving this energy problem is correct. However, there are a few minor errors in your calculations that may have resulted in an inaccurate answer.

In step 1, the equation should be ∆PE(up) - ∆PE(down) = 35000 J, as the difference in potential energy between going up and down the hill is equal to the amount of additional energy required to go up the hill. This means that the equation should be 2∆PE(up) = 35000 J, not 2∆PE(up) = 70000 J as you have written.

In step 2, your calculation for potential energy is correct, but the unit should be in meters, not Joules. So the calculation should be h = 35000 J / [2(1900 kg)(10 m/s^2)] = 0.92 m.

Step 3 is correct, but the calculated value for theta should be 1.95 degrees, not 0.52 degrees as you have written.

Overall, your approach is sound and your calculations are mostly correct, just a few minor errors in units and equations. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the "Tricky Energy Problem"?

The "Tricky Energy Problem" refers to the challenge of finding sustainable and efficient ways to meet the growing global demand for energy while also reducing our dependence on non-renewable energy sources.

2. Why is the "Tricky Energy Problem" important?

The "Tricky Energy Problem" is important because our current reliance on non-renewable energy sources such as fossil fuels has negative impacts on the environment, including air and water pollution, greenhouse gas emissions, and climate change. Finding solutions to this problem is crucial for the future of our planet.

3. What are some potential solutions to the "Tricky Energy Problem"?

Some potential solutions to the "Tricky Energy Problem" include investing in renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, hydro, and geothermal power, improving energy efficiency in buildings and transportation, and developing new technologies for energy storage and distribution.

4. What are the challenges in implementing solutions to the "Tricky Energy Problem"?

One of the main challenges in implementing solutions to the "Tricky Energy Problem" is the high initial cost of renewable energy technologies. There are also political and social barriers, as well as the need for significant changes in our energy infrastructure and consumption habits.

5. How can individuals contribute to solving the "Tricky Energy Problem"?

Individuals can contribute to solving the "Tricky Energy Problem" by making small changes in their daily lives, such as using public transportation, conserving energy at home, and supporting companies that prioritize sustainability. They can also educate themselves and advocate for policies that promote renewable energy and reduce the use of non-renewable energy sources.